Will you cancel your Instragram before the deadline allowing them to sell any of your pictures for commercial use (without paying you)?

Yes, it's all pictures on your instagram, even on private accts, even pictures of your children...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-instagram-sell-your-photos-20121218,0,6962985.story

Are you OK with Instagram using your photos in ads without your permission and without being compensated for it?

Come Jan. 16, you may not have a choice.

That's when Instagram's new privacy policy and terms of service take effect. And according to reaction online, this fine print is not so fine.

Instagram starts by explaining that some portions of its offerings may be supported by advertisers. That's typical. What's not so typical is this statement:

"To help us deliver interesting paid or sponsored content or promotions, you agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata), and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you.

That translates to this: While Instagram still says you own your photos, the company owns the right to use your photos wherever it sees fit without informing you. To agree to the terms, all you need to do is log in to the site. And because the minimum age to use the site is 13, that means photos of teens as well as adults are subject to the new rules.

Currently, there is no way to opt out of this policy, unless you consider deleting your account as a solution.

Instagram, which is now owned by Facebook, made changes to its terms of service last week.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:44 AM on Dec. 18, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Honestly I don't even know what instagram is.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:45 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

It's that app people use on their phone to take pictures and do half-assed photoshopping to them directly on the phone, instead of using a computer, then they're all saved on a server where, as of 1/16, they will become property of Instagram.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I never used it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I do not use Instagram.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:47 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I don't use it, thanks for the heads up because I was thinking about it.

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 11:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I don't use it and I won't now, but I'm thinking maybe I want to start removing my photos from facebook as well!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:52 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• i use it and I am glad I dont
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• i already deleted mine as soon as i heard this information. i never used it alot anyways.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• My dd has been pestering me about instagram for awhile now and I've been putting it off. I will now flat out tell her no and tell her the reason why. Some of her friends (not yet 13 I might add) use it all the time. I wonder if their parents are aware of this....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• yes, I definitely be cancelling! If I wanted my photos used for advertising, you better believe I'd figure out how to get paid for them! After hearing the news on FB, I shared it and am trying to get all my friends to use PicsArt photo studio. It's free, it's in the google play store, and it's WAY MORE FUN than instagram anyway! There are a million more FX, you can add stickers and clipart, make collages (I made my FB cover using it) and yes, of course you can instantly share on FB and follow your friends.
    I'd recommend it to anyone who is deleting their instagram account as a fun replacement.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2012