OWWWW adult content

Flagged because just reading this makes my teeth hurt:

DA: Pa. Receptionist, Dental Aide Did Root Canals

Authorities say a pair of crooked Pennsylvania dental office employees ran an after-hours, word-of-mouth operation where they performed root canals, pulled teeth and installed braces without proper training.

Montgomery County prosecutors say they've identified three patients who received treatment from the impostors, but X-rays indicate there could be dozens more.

A grand jury report alleges 45-year-old dental assistant Cheryl Laing and 24-year-old receptionist Jessica Gullickson used the Bryn Mawr dental practice where they worked to provide low-cost services to uninsured patients.

One patient reported a tooth extraction was a painful 45-minute ordeal and another said the receptionist was left to "find the root" during a root canal.

Both women were arraigned Monday on charges including theft and conspiracy. Phone listings for them couldn't be located Tuesday.

Would you go to "after-hours under the table" anything for medical services?  I'm wondering who they conned into being patients, especially for something like a root canal.  Braces off makes slightly more sense, but something that invasive?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:19 PM on Dec. 18, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow... Uh, no. Dental work is something Im more than happy to pay a professional for...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• What do those people expect if they went to an after-hours place? Seriously, people are so incredibly stupid.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• yikes! I agree with Kmath
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• It's like the people who let someone inject their butt with fix-a-flat instead of going to a plastic surgeon. Not enough sense or money to do the job right, I guess.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Me, no but I do have insurance. I have had a trained dentist take over 45 minutes to remove a tooth and one cracked my jaw and di not even mention it.

I would imagin that if you were in pain and had no insurance you might very well go to an under the table operator. I would think that they would pull a tooth rather than a root canal though. I have had those too. The first is generally much quick. Quicker means more patients during a certain time. Root canals also are mor difficult and more prone to added problem.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Some people are idiots... Imagine the screw up's that they can cause and the out of pocket expense to repair such a screw up (more than paying a real dentist) and that is if the imposters (under-the-table) don't kill you while saving you a bit.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Yikes, No. I hate dentists anyway, but they better hell know what they are doing when I go....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Dear god, why would anyone even consider something like that? I'd rather have all my teeth fall out than go to some "after hours under the table" thing. *shudders* I can't even imagine.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• as the saying goes "you get what you paid for" seriously! Why would someone even consider doing medical treatment under the table? If something happens no one is going to know about it and not know what to do to help you in the event something goes wrong without running a ton of tests.
    KLynneH

Answer by KLynneH at 2:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2012