A whole skein of yarn dropped in the toilet!

My 1 year old grabbed a brand new skein of yarn and dropped it in the toilet. What can I do? Do I unwind it and let it dry like that or can I leave it wound and let it dry?

OnAJourney_4Him

Asked by OnAJourney_4Him at 1:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2012 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I would very loosely re-wind it around something large - I'd be too afraid of the middle getting mildewy or moldy.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 1:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• After rinsing it thoroughly, I'd unwind it. You don't want it to mold.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Don't unwind it. Rinse it, wring it then throw it in the dryer!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I assume the water in the towlette was clean. If so then take a towel and press as much moisture as you can out of it gently moving the yarn and the towel. Then when you have as much as you think you can get, pop it into a pillow caes and tie up the end fairly close to the yarn. Pop it into the dryer on delicate or air dry and check every, say 10 minutes.

This is only if it is acrylic yarn. If it is wool, it is going to felt if you do the above. Just press as gently as possible as much of the water out as you possibly can and set it in front of a cool fan and turn it every so often. If water has settled to the bottom of course try to press the water out again.
    I have lots of yarn I would be willing to share if you were here. Sorry.
    The bright side is, he didn't flush.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Ewww,wash it
    Even if the toilet was flushed,it's still teeming with germs

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I would wash it in a net bag or pillowcase sealed with a zipper or safety pins and dry in the dryer that way you can also sanitize it.
    KLynneH

Answer by KLynneH at 2:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2012