What in the heck are parents and I used the term loosely thinking?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/12/coolparents.drinking/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Giving booze to kids? HELLO? is there a brain cell anywhere in their heads?

mamakirs

Asked by mamakirs at 2:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• What do/did I do about it? Well I personally TAUGHT my children about drinking and driving, about drinking in unsafe environments even after they were over 21, I set a good examply by never, EVER having even ONE drink if there was the slightest chance I would have to drive. I married a man who did the same. I always made sure I knew where my children were and what they were doing there. I alcohol-proofed them in every way every day of their entire childhoods. I was a parent first, not a friend to my children, and they didn't always like it, or like me, but they love me and know that I did everything I did for their own good. (And they are my best friends now!) Do I believe drinking responsibly is okay--YES, but RESPONSIBLY and SAFELY are the important words here.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Seeing how many openly smoke pot or admit to it on cafemom not much shocks me anymore. Thats why I homeschool.
    Anonymous

• absolutely agree anon
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• About the woman who gave the dead boy the alcohol: If convicted, she could receive up to a year in jail and fines totaling thousands of dollars.

WHA-??? She should receive life in prison for first-degree murder!

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:32 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• What are YOU (in general) doing to resolve this problem instead of just complaining?

Anonymous

• 100% agree paganmama!!!!!! It's horrible! My oldest, who is now 22, went to a friends house when she was just 16 and that friends Mom was serving alcohol to the kids, I WAS IRATE!! I fussed that Mom out and my daughter couldn't go to her house anymore. Too many parents try to be their childrens "friends" and it results is poor judgement and bad choices for their children! A huge mistake!!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 2:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• well I...choose to educate my children, know who's home they are at, what the parental policies are of those parents etc. what are YOU doing?
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Anon 1:32, I was a volunteer counselor at the juvenile detention centers and one of my platforms in speaking to teens has always been about teen alcoholism. That night my daughter got drunk (of course on one drink), her punishment was to write a report about teenage alcoholism. Besides the fact that CafeMom is where we come to complain about things!! =D

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 2:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Well anon 12:32, first I'm going to go cross country and knock on every door to make sure people aren't serving minors alcohol. Then if they are, I will take the to jail in my personal vehicle. Then I'm going to storm every City Hall in the country. And while I'm doing it I'll make sure they know that in America it's illegal to complain about something unless you are actively doing something about it. Are we good?
    Anonymous

• Cracking up Anon 1:45!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 2:58 PM on Feb. 12, 2009