Childhood leukemia

a little girl in my class (age 2) is being tested for leukemia. Her mom mentions to us that her 'numbers are low again' and today made the comment that she thought she was about to go through another one of her 'episodes'... I am not clear what she is talking about... I don't want to ask because we are not really privy to any medical information, as teachers and I could get in trouble for asking too many questions... anyone have any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Dec. 18, 2012 in General Parenting

• I know the WBC (white blood cells) are usually high, so that results in a low platelet count. Maybe that is what she is referring to. Hopefully someone can answer more professionally for you. I'm a lung person, myself.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:56 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• You haven't once decided to google leukemia with a child in your class that has it?
    Leukemia is cancer of the white blood cells (you know those handy little cells that help fight infection, enable clotting, and make antibodies. When the mom says her count is low again she is talking about the white blood cell counts. This means as a teacher you should be taking extra caution to help keep this little girl from getting sick any further. Maintain diligence in having ALL children wash hands, informing parents to keep their sick children home, and avoid activities which could cause falls or cuts. This also means the girl is likely to be more tired than usual as well.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• One of her "episodes" can be anything ranging from pain in the joints or bones to headaches, seizures and vomitting. Swelling of face and arms or just extreme tiredness or weakness.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• The mother has not told us ANYTHING. The grandmother slipped up and told us one day that is what they were looking for with all of her Dr. visits recently. No one has said she has it or given us any instructions or anything. We are being left in the dark here.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• We have only known about it for about a week. Though she has been seeing drs regularly since Thanksgiving we thought for her RSV.
    Anonymous

• So stay in the dark, in the meantime make sure your kids are practicing proper sanitation techniques, keep toys, work surfaces, etc CLEAN, and well all the stuff you SHOULD be doing as a daycare provider anyways but may forget to keep up on or get lazy in doing. (Like sanitizing toys periodically to kill germs of ensuring parents of sick kids keep them at home)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Not like I am trying ot be nosy but we keep getting little snippets of information and no clue what it means. Just trying to piece it all together that's all.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Oh I didn't mean to imply you were being nosey. Just with the snippets that you have heard use it to try to make the facilities safer for the student (which makes it safer for all students really) and be prepared to answer questions from the parents about moods, eating habits, etc. Medical issues are personal for families but there is also a fear their kid will be ostracized or treated differently because of a condition and therefore they don't want to share information. The good news for the school is that Leukemia is NOT a contagious or comminicable disease but it does mean more diligence in cleanliness and sanitation to keep germs to a minimum to prevent illnesses, but that's something that should be done anyways
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:03 PM on Dec. 18, 2012