Imperial sugar/dixie crystals

2 recipes call for this stuff. all i could find was small canisters of decorative white sugar crystals for $5 a pop. I bought 3 but even that isn't enough for the 2 recipes. Can I sub regular sugar for this stuff in the cheesecake recipe at least? I can't find an answer on-line.

Tesserae

Asked by Tesserae at 7:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2012 in Food & Drink

• I thought both imperial sugar and Dixie crystals were just brands of regular sugar?

Answer by missanc at 7:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• missanc, is right, they are just brands. Any pure cane sugar will do.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Yep, that's regular sugar.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Imperial sugar is made in Sugarland Texas.

I remember being heartbroken when I was maybe 4 .We live in a city near by and had Imperial sugar at our house.We were driving somewhere and stopped for gas at a station near the plant ...huge letters that matched the sugar at home.There was very white sand next to the station ...yup grabbed a handful to swallow ...bluk it was sand not sugar...LOL I really thought sugar was everywhere there...it WAS called SUGARLAND and had a sugar factory !!!!!!

drfink

Answer by drfink at 5:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• lol, really? i thought they were like those chunky sugar crystals.... what an ass I am. thanks.
    Tesserae

Comment by Tesserae (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• lol, that's a cute story, drfink!
    Tesserae

Comment by Tesserae (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Dec. 19, 2012