when did you...?

get your babies ears pierced? We were at the mall the other day, and I noticed a woman (well, she more more a girl she looked way younger than me!!!) getting her babies ears pierced! The baby couldn't have been but a few weeks old!!! I mean come on! I'm all for doing it while they are still young, but this baby was tiny... My little girl is almost 3 months and we've been thinking about getting hers done, but I'm not sure when its a good time. So when did you all do it?

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 2:35 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had my dd done at 8 weeks. sometimes it is a cultural thing. I am puerto rican I had mine done at two days old as did all the females in my family.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I am going to let my daughter make that decision for herself when she is older.

I also think it would be fun to go with her like on her 9th b-day or so and watch her be excited for it and have it done. I remember when I was that age and being so excited and then thinking I was so cool, because I had pierced ears LOL.
    Anonymous

• I got my daughters done when she was about 4 months old..most placed won't do it if they are under 3 months..
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• hmm, I never thought about it being a cultural thing! I feel bad now for jumping to so many negative thoughts! Did anything happen when you had them done for dd? Infections, did they seem to hurt her for a while or did she just cry a little and then it was okay???

anon: lol, I remember getting mine done, I thought I was so cool too!!! haha, (I had them done when I was 12, only 8 years ago...lol) I was so excited to get them, and then so mad about how badly they hurt!!! Ofcourse, I could only wear solid gold earrings, everythings else gave me infections!! ugh! I thought about letting her decide for herself, but I'm afraid that she'll be too scared, or something. I think I would rather get them done for her soon so that its over and done with, and she wont remember it hurting, kwim??
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 2:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I think a lot of people do it around your baby's age, and if you are going to do it young I'd have to say the sooner the better. As they get older they will mess with them too much and it might be a problem.

Neither of my girls have pierced ears, and they are 12 years and 17 months. My philosophy is to wait until they can ask for it and take care of it by themselves (not trying to push my philosophy on anyone else). My toddler is too young to ask for it or take care of it herself, and my 12 year old actually doesn't want it done, so I guess for her it's a good thing that I waited.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• It doesn't matter how old a person is, it matters "HOW" it's done. Some people have it done when they are 60 because they have accumulated some very nice earrings by this age. I had mine done when I was so small I hardly remember it. Make sure the earring stem is GOLD so there will be no reaction to the metal. Make sure the ear is cleaned properly with alcohol and move the earring slightly everyday to prevent sticking in place.
    wishbook

Answer by wishbook at 3:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Before I decided I was going to wait to get my daughter's ears pierced I asked my Dr. when a good age would be and she told me at her 18 month appointment that it would probably be okay to get it done at that time.
    Anonymous

• My daughter was 6 years old. I planned from the day she was born to wait until she was old enough to want to have it done, so it would be a fun thing that she'd look forward to and appreciate. She had been asking for a year or so to have it done, so for her 6th birthday, her gramma & I made an afternoon of it for her. We got her ears pierced, bought all kinds of new earrings, did lunch, the whole bit, and she loved it. That was 18 yrs ago & she still talks about how fun the day was. Now that I have another girl (she's 2), I plan to do the same thing except this time my older daughter will be there too. Ahhh... I can't wait.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I did both my daughters when they were 2 1/2 months old. I think it's better to do it while they are young and won't remember it. Also when they are young they don't mess with them much. My kids did great. They didn't cry for more than a second and never got any kind of infections or anything. If they decide they don't want them later on they can always take them out and let the holes close up.
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 3:09 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• many people get the babys ears peirced in the first few month...personally im gonna wait until she tells me she wants it done ^.^
    Killemo

Answer by Killemo at 3:09 PM on Feb. 12, 2009