Thoughts on what my husband thinks as well as I...

I've got to stand up a talk about the recent shooting. First, PEOPLE !, it was the whack job holding the gun that did the deed, if AR-15 rifles were so dangerous, why didn't the rifles the police were carrying start killing people? When a drunk driver plows through a crowd of people (or into an occupied building), why is the vehicle involved not banned from use, why is alcohol not banned from use? When a toddler drowns in a backyard pool, why are the pools not banned. Now some of you are calling me a gun nut by now. Well, copy this, once the means to oppose the rulers is suppressed, the God-given rights will soon be gone too. It will be easy, most of you sheeple out there will let it happen and then moan about it after wondering what went wrong. The worst thing about these tragedies is most of the time, the killer kills himself so we have nobody to punish or blame. YOU BLAME THE HARDWARE BECAUSE SOFTWARE DELETED ITSELF ! We want to make sense of it when there was no sense to be had in the first place. Can fingers be pointed, some yes, but it wont solve the problem. I have been lead to believe the mother had problems with another individual, so the rifle was bought for protection. First blame-the person who sold the rifle for home defense, a shotgun would have been better. Maybe she liked the shooting sports, ok, fine. Second blame-why were the firearms not secured against unauthorized access. A son with a defined mental issue should not have been able to get to any of those firearms. People it's not easy access to firearms, it's the politician-fueled degradation of personal responsibility - i.e.- the government will protect you. That's not what government is for. As our population grows and we get closer to each other, these things are going to continue to happen and even get worse if we don't start to look after each other. There's already too many rats in the cage and like the rats, we will turn on each other for personal gain or to gain power over others or to simply survive. So what's my solution? Do nothing - do not allow the politicians to make more restrictive laws and chip away further at our freedoms - the criminals will not obey the laws because - surprise! - they're criminals. Passing new laws right now is akin to a heat of passion murder. I know everybody thinks something needs to be done, something needs to be fixed. There is nothing that can fix the most random variable attached to these tragedies - human activity. Any object , machine, vehicle, firearm, plastic bag, ect. is perfectly safe until a human lays hands upon it. An object is neither good or evil. People can be evil. What happened at that school was pure evil made physical because the rest of us weren't sharp enough to see it coming.

OK, anti gun Nazi's do your worst...

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I didn't read the whole thing. That said, I think that we have a tendency in cases like these to treat the symptom and not the cause. And our elected officials will try to come up with laws to ban certain weapons. And people will feel satisfied until someone kills other with some other method, and then we will all be sitting there asking "why?" again. Others have said that its time to be honest and I agree with the sentiment, just not about what we need to be honest about.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• And our elected officials will try to come up with laws to ban certain weapons.

I'm betting it will all be forgotten by the time they come back from their session break - new congress sworn in, Obama will announce his new plans for the future, and that great big reality of the economy is going to slap everyone in the face again. Something else will have happened by then to take over the headlines - Obama has an entire cabinet to appoint.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I don't disagree. I'll never own a gun and if it means I get shot and killed SO BE IT... we all owe one death. But I won't take guns away from others.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:23 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• OK, anti gun Nazi's do your worst...

Totally unnecessary. I will be back with my comments.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• It's not all about the guns- but I still see no need for them AT ALL.
    Every time I hear about a kid accidentally shooting someone- or shooting themselves it makes me SICK -and I just will never ever understand why people feel they have a need for them. That said- There is SO much more to this than the gun issue
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Until we step away from the gun issue and look at the real cause we will continue to see tragedies like this happen, end of story. Don't know why some anti-gun folks can't see that.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• The gun would not have went off if a person would not have pulled the trigger.   enough said.

Answer by louise2 at 9:34 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• First I am going to start off with this shooting has effected me personally. Second I do not own a gun, do not want to learn about them. I am for better gun control. Period. Now with that said, if we as a country sit back and do nothing after burying 20 babies we are screwed.

Monday morning every Mother in America had an unsettling feeling sending there kids to school. You are ok with that? I am NOT.
    The mother of the shooter should NOT have had those guns in her home if he was living there. I am sure more will come out about this in the coming weeks. This woman had plenty of money so helping her son was not a financial issue.

What bothers me her is that I have been respectful of all your opinions and took offense to your remark MM.

continued

DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• " So what's my solution? Do nothing "

Ok, that I have a problem with. Even though I abolutely hate guns I can understand the arguments made for them. We have to try something, anything, I don't care as long as we try to protect innocent people lives. We can't just throw up our hands and accept this.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 9:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Below i will post what the grandparent posted to family on FB. The 7 year old is the one that ran to the neighbors house.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2012