I want to go to church but...

I feel like I'm out of place. I am not even sure if I believe in God. My son goes to a MDO program at a church and he really loves it. Tonight he had a Christmas program and we went, but I hate that I dont know any of the other moms. I am lonely.

I get so self concious because all of the moms are fairly fit and in good shape, and I just feel like I dont belong. I have a hard time believing in a hateful God so it has made more sense for me to not believe in God at all. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• Start with the belief-o-matic quiz. That will steer you in a general direction of what religion/denom you should research. Then go to Sacred-Texts.com to do some reading.  Meanwhile, check on facebook, Google+, and yahoo groups (as well as here on CM) for groups devoted to whatever path you want to explore.  Once you figure that out, start looking for similar groups in your area.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:58 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Crap... I forgot the link...

Belief-O-Matic

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:50 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• You could always look for a UU church, where they accept all different kinds of beliefs and opinions. It might be a good place for someone trying to figure out exactly what they believe. Though not all Christians believe in "a hateful God." There are those of us (like myself) who don't even believe in hell. Really I would just take the time, if I were you, to focus on what you personally feel and believe - study, compare, etc, etc - and find where you feel you most would fit and go from there. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:10 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• "a hateful God"? I'm not following. Are you asking a question, or trying to stir something up. I will assume you are legit and asking a honest to goodness question. My answer would then be, get out there and attend as many churches as you can, test them all out and see what fits. Also, I would suggest you take a World Religion course at a University... sounds like something you could use...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I feel the same way except I don't think God is a hateful God. I think the "Church" wanted to put fear in people and have made him look like a hateful God. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• OP, feel free to pm or friend me. I live in the Bible belt and don't really get to talk to many people who feel the way we do.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:50 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Here's a thought and I'm just throwing this out there... Why don't you start your own study group of some sort utilizing what you believe in?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• It sounds like you are looking for companionship and not really looking for God.
    I do not mean that to sound harch but if you can identify what you are seeking then you can label it correctly and have better success finding it.

I have a hard time relating to many people. Maybe it is my looks maybe it is something else entirely, but I don't connect and I am ok with that. When I am in Church I am focused on God. I only notice others in a periferal way. That is me. You might call it a form of meditation.

Others meet up and talk and share about their activities or work.
    My connections with other came mostly when I volunteered. I do not really know what to tell you except to look in the mirror and tell yourself you are a wonderful person and why. If you have some area you want to work on, look yourself in the eye and encourage yourself. Pray whan it is quiet and alone with God.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Sounds like you need to do some research into all types of religions to find the one that you actually believe in. A world religion's course would be a good place to start. Christianity isn't the only religion around. Do some research and find what works for you.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Go to different churches until you find one that suits you. Figure out what you want in a church.  They are all different, it's the people who make the church, you'll be able to find one that you feel comfortable in.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2012