Toddler Waking: Wants water 2-3 times every night

My two year old toddler wakes every night wanting water. He goes back to sleep immediately after drinking. The problem is, I am 24 weeks pregnant and am very tired at night. He goes to sleep every night well at 8-8:30 and wakes every morning about 7:30.

How do I encourage him to sleep through the night? He doesn't take a bottle and he spills open cups of water. He doesn't like sippy cups so I can't leave one with him at night. I am wondering if this is something that I should just expect he will gradually grow out of or should I refuse him water? The room seems dry so I do hate to refuse him water at night, it doesn't seem good. If I ignore him, he simply becomes very noisy and disturbs the entire household.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated, thanks a lot!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 AM on Dec. 19, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is old enough to go the whole night without water. IMO. I would start telling him. No more water in the middle of the night. Start weening him off.

Answer by louise2 at 6:42 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• How are you supose to ever potty train him if he drinks water every night?

• Potty training is not an issue with him, he is doing well with it already and wakes dry many mornings :).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:44 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• I would get him a sports bottle, leave it with him at night and tell him that's all he can have. It may take a couple nights of fussing before he realizes you aren't going to give in. Once you are ready to night train him you may have to cut it off completely.

Answer by missanc at 6:49 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Has this started recently? Is he congested or anything? I know when my allergies act up, my nose gets clogged and I end up breathing through my mouth during the night, so I wake up with a really dry mouth and have to get a drink. Maybe it's something like that? Check into it, because if that's all it is, you might be able to give him some meds or put a humidifier in his room or something to help him sleep through the night without a drink.

Otherwise, I like the sports bottle idea, too. Then he can't spill it, but he doesn't have to bother you for a drink either.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:31 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Our kids all have those bottles with a straw in their bed. Would he drink out of that? (It has never effected any of their potty training - all four of them)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Maybe you should take him to the doctor? Extreme thirst can be a sign of diabetes. I would start there to rule out anything.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 10:16 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Thanks for the advice ladies! I really like the sports bottle idea! He is due for a check up soon at the doctor's anyhow, I will mention this to just rule out any physical issue.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Dec. 19, 2012