Are you teaching your babay sign?

Are you teaching or are you going to teach your little one to sign? My aunt is and she swears by it.. But i really dont see the big deal... Anyone else?

HottMamaRossx2

Asked by HottMamaRossx2 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• eh, no I don't think I will
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 3:02 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• swears by what?

yea i plan on teaching her sign language. its an easy way for them to communicate with people when they arent able to vocally.

i cant wait to teach her sign :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I did signs with with my daughter. It is proven to help with language development-there is a big explanation and much reasoning behind it, but I'm not going to get into it!
    If you google this a lot of information will come up and you will get a better understanding of it then I could give you:)
    Anonymous

• well sign language def. is neat and such. but to be honest, i dont need it to communicate with my daughter. i always understand exactly what she means .. without using any words at all ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My son learned it in preschool. The teachers used it when they spoke so if the kids couldnt get their message across in words they could sign. Worked wonders. I also have a neice who is deaf so I want my boys to learn so they can communicate with her
    momof3jll

Answer by momof3jll at 3:00 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• yes, we will be. I did with my first son and it was immensely helpful for him to be able to tell us whether he was done or wanted more, when he wanted to eat or drink, etc.
    he was also very excited to let us know if he saw a dog or a bird, or wanted to be read to.

it's great for their development, too, and very interesting to see them "talk" about an event from the day before (I didn't realize that he wasn't always just thinking in the present).
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:11 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• We are. It is a good idea so that they can communicate before they can use their words. We are starting with the simple ones first. Most of our baby Einsteins have signing in them so it is helpful for me to learn so that I can teach my LO.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• We taught ASL. It was so nice that they could communicate with me and with anyone else in the family before they were verbal.

There's a difference between knowing what a child means and providing them with a way to openly communicate with others before they can speak. I always understood what my boys meant, too...that doesn't mean they didn't need (or want) a way to communicate with someone other than just me or their daddy! I don't know of a single mother who doesn't know what their child wants or needs automatically. What a horrible, snobish attitude.
    Anonymous

• We also used ASL! I felt it was important to provide a way for the boys to communicate their needs, a way for them to be more independent. It's also a great way to introduce different languages!! If you teach ASL and continue with it, it can be of great benefit when they're in school (college) since it's considered a "foreign" language in most colleges now.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:20 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Huh, thought I was the only one who thought that. I'm sorry all our kids can't be perfect. Or we can't all be perfect moms. Could someone tell me when her next parenting seminar is?
    Anonymous