"More than a third of Americans see recent extreme weather as a sign that the world is in biblical “end times,” "

Thirty-six percent of Americans say that the severity of recent natural disasters indicate that we are at the precipice of Jesus’ second coming and the end of the world, according to the survey, released by Public Religion Research Institute. Thesurvey found that 15% of Americans believe the world will end, as predicated in the book of Revelation, in their lifetime.

(more of article at link below)

Article goes on to cover the split between thinking storms are caused by either global warming or end times which correletes to denoms - Protestants and Catholics lean global warming, Evangelicals are where most of the end times answers come from.

It could be because I grew up in an area that was mostly Catholic with a handful of mainline Protestants sprinkled in, but never once did we hear growing up from anyone that the blizzard of 79 or Mount Saint Helens erupting were signs of end times.  Was that normal in other areas, or is this a recent phenomenon?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:03 AM on Dec. 19, 2012 in Religious Debate

• *I don't think they believe the world is flat...but then I never asked! haha
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:34 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• lol. I dont know a single person who believes the world is ending. Guess I am hanging out with the wrong crowd.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:43 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Oh and the fun spreads I never thought of them as two groups. You learn something new every day!!!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:46 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Just use that to show that they have not evolved beyond this . LOL
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• i grew up in a non-Rapture church and never heard a word about the world ending. anyone else not surprised at all its the Evangelicals that hope...er...believe the worlds coming to an end? i mean that is what their leaders preach about every time theirs a disaster. speaking of...has Pat Robertson blamed the shooting on God's wrath yet?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:24 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• has Pat Robertson blamed the shooting on God's wrath yet?

I think Mike Huckabee stole his thunder.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• A lightly falling snow is extreme weather? Almighty then. Lol
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• A lightly falling snow is extreme weather?

They're talking about Sandy, actually. This was released last week, but got buried under the CT stuff.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Just because it's the most extreme weather they've seen in their lifetime doesn't mean it's the most extreme ever. Actually, it's probably not the worst in their lifetime - it's more like selective memory.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:59 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• I grew up in a Catholic/mainstream Protestant area, and I don't ever remember hearing anything about this end times crap. I don't remember anyone saying the Grand Island tornadoes in 1980 were a sign of the end times. So idk if it's a new thing or not. It is certainly a recent phenomenon to me, and I doubt I'll ever understand it (not that I really want to).
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:17 AM on Dec. 19, 2012