"More than a third of Americans see recent extreme weather as a sign that the world is in biblical “end times,” "

Thirty-six percent of Americans say that the severity of recent natural disasters indicate that we are at the precipice of Jesus’ second coming and the end of the world, according to the survey, released by Public Religion Research Institute. Thesurvey found that 15% of Americans believe the world will end, as predicated in the book of Revelation, in their lifetime.

(more of article at link below)

Article goes on to cover the split between thinking storms are caused by either global warming or end times which correletes to denoms - Protestants and Catholics lean global warming, Evangelicals are where most of the end times answers come from.

It could be because I grew up in an area that was mostly Catholic with a handful of mainline Protestants sprinkled in, but never once did we hear growing up from anyone that the blizzard of 79 or Mount Saint Helens erupting were signs of end times.  Was that normal in other areas, or is this a recent phenomenon?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:03 AM on Dec. 19, 2012 in Religious Debate

• "I think Mike Huckabee stole his thunder."

oh yeah. i guess if you aren't gonna make national news for your "gospel" theres no point in preaching it...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• I'm Protestant and I've never bought into the whole global warming bs. When I hear of catastrophic storms, I don't automatically think its the end of the world. However, if the severity and the frequency in which these storms occur increases then, yeah, I start to wonder because the bible does warn is that the ends times will be marked by catastrophic storms, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions. These and other signs will happen progressively more often, scripture compares this to labor pains increasing in frequency and severity.

Obviously no one really knows when the second coming will take place or the end of the world, I'm not that worried if it happens in my lifetime or not.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• My mom always says, "I don't ever remember a summer like this", or winter, whatever.... I'm like mom, it was just like this last year. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• So I guess a third of the population is very wrong......

Answer by older at 1:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• I do think it is more recent though there have always been doomsayers.

We had a really bad tonado with 7 tails and multiple little funnes off of those tails. It destryed 1/2 of Omaha. That same year we had a horrible blizzard. I remember hearing some murmurrings then.
    I think it was about 15 years ago that I started really hearing the rumblings and talk of portents. It has really been picking up momentum in these last couple of years. IMO
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:24 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I really don't remember hearing much about "the end times" growing up. However, since meeting my hubby and his family ... have heard about it a lot! His parents are about 20 yrs older than mine (my mom is only 6 yrs older than hubby's older sister) so maybe that has something to do with it ... generational kind of thing.

Unfortunately, the nut jobs have come out of the wood works and it is being screamed on every street corner now.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:05 AM on Dec. 24, 2012

• You will find I think that any mass destruction from mother nature is a "sign." It's so easy to claim that anything like that would be a sign because the signs are so vague themselves and really these things have been happening for years and as the earth continues to change and we continue to destroy our natural resources we will see more "signs" kind of self fulfilling prophecy type thing
    Jessplus31979

Answer by Jessplus31979 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 31, 2012