"More than a third of Americans see recent extreme weather as a sign that the world is in biblical “end times,” "

Thirty-six percent of Americans say that the severity of recent natural disasters indicate that we are at the precipice of Jesus’ second coming and the end of the world, according to the survey, released by Public Religion Research Institute. Thesurvey found that 15% of Americans believe the world will end, as predicated in the book of Revelation, in their lifetime.

(more of article at link below)

Article goes on to cover the split between thinking storms are caused by either global warming or end times which correletes to denoms - Protestants and Catholics lean global warming, Evangelicals are where most of the end times answers come from.

It could be because I grew up in an area that was mostly Catholic with a handful of mainline Protestants sprinkled in, but never once did we hear growing up from anyone that the blizzard of 79 or Mount Saint Helens erupting were signs of end times.  Was that normal in other areas, or is this a recent phenomenon?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:03 AM on Dec. 19, 2012 in Religious Debate

• tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:20 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• More than a third of Americans would benefit from more science classes, and less time listening to nuts like Pat Robertson.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:15 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• You'd hope that now that we are educated in geology, meteorology,etc that these crazy ideas would disappear.
    Ancient people saw every bad thing as angry gods. Apparently those ignorant people still exist.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:13 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• i grew up in a non-Rapture church and never heard a word about the world ending. anyone else not surprised at all its the Evangelicals that hope...er...believe the worlds coming to an end? i mean that is what their leaders preach about every time theirs a disaster. speaking of...has Pat Robertson blamed the shooting on God's wrath yet?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:24 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• I recall California was supposed to break off the US some years back, along with the whole Y2K predictions. Lots of people seem to be looking forward to our demise.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:26 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Just because it's the most extreme weather they've seen in their lifetime doesn't mean it's the most extreme ever. Actually, it's probably not the worst in their lifetime - it's more like selective memory.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:59 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• These people probably still believe the world is flat as well!!! LOL
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• As far as I know, almost every time in history has people fearing that certain happenings are part of the end. It is scary. I'd rather not think that it is the end because I like the way my life is right now, but there's nothing we can do about it if it is.

Answer by Bmat at 9:10 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• I have been hearing that we are in our "end" times for the past 20-25 yrs.... when is it actually going to happen?? I think it is just people who are already crazy in the head that thinks stuff like that. I am not saying that the world isn't going to end. Yes, one day it probably will. In my lifetime, I don't know. Nobody knows when it will happen. Seems like they want mass hysteria to break out . I don't know if that makes any sense, but good grief... When are people going to wake up and realize that if it is the end.... what can they do? NADA!! JMO :0)
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• I see it as global warming.  What will happen because of global warming is hard to know.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 19, 2012