Transition away from a "lovely"

My DD has had this pink blanket since she was 10 months old. She is in love with it and sleeps with it every night and its her comfort item as well. DD is now 5 years old and that thing is old, fulling apart and just looks gross even after washing it. Its also to small for her.
How do I transition away from it? I looked into similar blankets like it but it has that satin side and the soft side and I can't find an adult size blanket like that. The satin side is her favorite part of it.

What do you ladies suggest I do?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 19, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Can you make it into a pillow case?
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• What happens if it's not there at night? Say perhaps it happens to be in the washing machine at bedtime?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• I have no idea Lost. I have a 24 year old who still has her "sheet". She keeps it safely in a box... won't part with it for anything. LOL! She had it in her bed until she went to college.... then she cut off a square and took that with her. Now, she has that thing in a box...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• she looks for it. I tried that before and it didnt go very well
    LostSoul88

Comment by LostSoul88 (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• You could find a larger version on Etsy - there are lots of folk there who make those kinds of blankets in various sizes and materials. But would she like the new one or would she want her old blanket?
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 12:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• The way I got over my doll when I was little wasn't intentional, but it worked. Might be a last resort, though. We went on vacation and picked my mom up from work first. I thought we were going back home before we left, so I didn't grab her. When I realized, my dad refused to turn around (don't blame him, would've been an extra hour on the drive) just for the doll. After a week going without, I didn't have to have her to sleep anymore.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• well - i know this sounds crazy but i still sleep with my baby blanket - i never had any crazy attachment to it - like if i didnt have it i could still fall asleep no problem - but when i sleep i have to cuddle something and its the prefect size and its cool to the touch... my husband has never flinched that i cuddle it when i sleep - if i dont have it i cuddle a different blanket but this blanket just has the perfect materail and size - - - my sister is the same way - we never carried them any where or took them to other peoples house even when we were children - just slept with them in our own beds -

So as far as advice maybe just tell her she can only have it at bedtime and in her bed - tell her it stays in bed - if the problem is she wants to take it everywhere and its getting dirty or ruined - mine is still in perfect shape because it never left my bed (except to wash of course) lol
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 12:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• I got a big baby blanket from a baby store (Buy Buy Baby) that has all satin on one side & soft faux fur on the other. My Son has a satin tickle ribbon that he had since he was a baby but once he started kindergarten & made lots of friends & has new interests, the satin ribbon seems to have been forgotten. Maybe she'll give it up on her own.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• oh i like the pillow case idea!
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 12:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• I thought about that the pillow case idea but the edges on the blanket are pretty damaged
    LostSoul88

Comment by LostSoul88 (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2012