My son doesnt listen to my dad...

Every Wednesday my dad watches my 6 yr old son all day while I work. And for some reason my son is always so bad for him, he never listens, or yells and argues with him. A little fyi, my dad has a prosthetic leg, so hes handicapped and can't run around or things like that. Ive tried taking toys away when hes bad, but that doesnt work. I was thinking if hes bad today ill take the presents (that santa dropped off early) and hide them, then when he wakes up tomorrow ill say oh wow santa must have saw you were bad and took the presents away. I really dont know what else to do, my dad is the only sitter i have on wednesdays, and I can't afford daycare :( What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Dec. 19, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Why isn't your son in school during the day if he's 6?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• That ^^ but also, it sounds like your son is Bored! Does your dad play games with him or read to him or take him places or do they just sit around and watch tv? it doesn't really help to keep punishing him when its obviously not changing anything, maybe some other arrangements need to be made :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Please understand that I don't mean this to sound harsh. But I know a father who has a prosthetic leg. He has no trouble whatsoever getting his kids to listen, and while he can't run and play with them, he finds ways to engage with them and do things with them. It sounds to me like maybe your dad expects your son to entertain himself, and then your dad just essentially "whines" to you about all the bad things your son did. Your dad needs to discipline your son. Maybe he can't chase after him, but he can take things away, even if it requires following your son to another room. He can put him in time out. And he can play with him - he can play board games, card games, video games even. He can read to him, color with him, go for short walks with him.

And I also wonder why your 6 yr old is not in school.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Don't do anything having to do with the Christmas gifts. It really is a separate thing and should be kept that way. I acted up when I had a certain babysitter when I was little and it was because she did absolutely nothing with us and wanted us to entertain ourselves while she watched tv. If your dad IS interacting with your son then there has to be clear rules as to what is, and is not, allowed and a consequence when misbehaving. Zero in on what is THE most important thing to him and take that away if need be. Or do timeout correctly. Follow through. Is your dad giving him positive reinforcement, praise, and love too? It's all part of fostering cooperation. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 2:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Sure, if you want to give the kid a bad memory that will last for the rest of his life, then that is exactly what you should do. I still vividly remember the time we had no Christmas thanks to my brother being a jerk to my mom. I don't condone this action.
    Michys

Answer by Michys at 2:39 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Alright guys hes in half day kindergarten, thats all they offer in our town. So he get's out at 11:30. And to michys, I dont understand how every parent threatens that santa is always watching, and that the kids might get coal if they dont behave, but never follow through with it. It's basically telling your child that nothing will happen if they misbehave. To be honest, tons of kids these days are so disrespectful, and walk all over there parents. It's ridiculous! What I did was i left a note for him next to his presents saying "remember santa is always watching, if you misbehave today these presents may not be here in the morning". And he was an ANGEL for my dad.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:22 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• yeah but what are you going to do to get him to behave after Christmas is over?!
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 6:15 AM on Dec. 23, 2012