Would you pay $1 per day to have an armed off duty police officer at your school?

I know that I would, my kids attend a very old school. I think if you added it into lunch accounts, or after care you could easily afford a police officer to stand in the front. The average elementary school has 300 students, so if all students paid $1 per day, the cost would be covered.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Our school has over 700 students. I would fully support having an officer in each school.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• No. That would be an undue hardship on a lot of families ($1/day = $540 for a family with 3 kids). It also would be a waste of resources when a levy for an equal amount could improve overall security as a one time expense instead of expecting a single individual to be in all places at all times. If you asked while the paranoia is still at its height, you might even find security companies willing to donate all the equipment, but you'll have to act fast. People will forget by February.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:55 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Yes. I actually suggested this the other day. I wouldn't care if they raise my taxes. My grandchildren go to the local schools. I even thought about a parent volunteering to stand at the door ( in shifts) throughout the day. They also need to keep all other doors locked to the outside.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Our school used to have parents donate for a "security resource officer." I don't know why they stopped asking, except that they may have finally put it into the regular budget. Now instead of the one security guard we now have 3.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• A dollar a day multiplied by every kid in the school, that is one hefty salary OR someone is seeking to profit on this.
    I thinking arming teachers is the better choice, and not all teachers.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• hell yes. Only of it was that easy.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• a $1 a day/ per child is worth my children's safety
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• We have one already and they've added four more after this week. It will make my taxes go up, but I know it will only help keep them safe and I'm ok with that.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 2:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• You could never get $1 a day from a lot of the kids. The parents just don't have it. The kids are on free lunches, free books, low income housing, etc. Even if you have 20 security guards I don't believe it will stop anyone from shooting the kids if they want to. It may stop it a little sooner but it wouldn't stop it. They simply drive the car into the front of the school and start shooting or wait until the kids are at recess and then start shooting from the bushes or a roof top.

I wish there was an easy answer but there isn't. If someone wants to kill another person it's going to happen.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Your schools only have one entry point?

My kids are in school for 167 days a year. I have three kids. So my portion of the bill will be $501?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2012