Need some Education. (found in another group)

This was the image.

The responses that caught my attention were about prayer.

When read, is it assumed it is a Abrahamic God? Or could the word God encompass all Gods/ Goddesses?

And

If you were to "Wish Someone Gets Here in Time" (or some variation) does that constitute a prayer?

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 2:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• a wish and prayer are not the same in my opinion
    I prayer for the blessings I already have and for a few other things.

A wish woud be like wishing I could afford the 92 inch tv my husband just saw, I would never pray for it to happen.

I am not sure what God is referred to here, I would assume all Gods or just a reference like Oh Dear God please hurry. Even people I know who are athiest will say that at times but I know they are not actually asking the God I would ask, make sense?
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 2:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Lame. If you don't believe in a god, prayer is the last thing that would cross your mind in an emergency.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Would "I need help" tossed to the heavens constitute a form of prayer?

In theory, but I don't think that's the way my thought process would go, because it's not natural for me to offer spontaneous "I need" to the universe, if that makes sense. I think that's where those who pray, specifically those who pray for things, whether it's blessings or guidance or lottery numbers, can't really relate to those who don't. It's second nature for them to offer a thought up to whomever for whatever, so they just assume everyone else responds to stress the same way. It's the same way someone who wants to be left alone when they're sick doesn't pick up on the cues from someone else who is sick and wants to be coddled (or vice versa).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:52 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• I think the assumption of the kind of person who would make that image is the Abrahamic god. I doubt the existence of any other counts to them (the same type of people who use that tired line about no atheists in foxholes). I know everyone I've seen post it on facebook falls in the "My god is the only god and yours is fake and you're going to Hell" camp.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• ^ Agree^ If someone broke into my home I would take out my wooden bat and wait till the SOB turned the corner and get him/her across the face and then beat the living out of them
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• American Heritage dictionary
    pray (pr) KEY

VERB:
    prayed, pray·ing, prays
    VERB:
    intr.

To utter or address a prayer or prayers to God, a god, or another object of worship.
    To make a fervent request or entreaty.
    VERB:
    tr.

To utter or say a prayer or prayers to; address by prayer.
    To ask (someone) imploringly; beseech. Now often used elliptically for I pray you to introduce a request or entreaty: Pray be careful.
    To make a devout or earnest request for: I pray your permission to speak.
    To move or bring by prayer or entreaty.

Please read them all. the word pray or to pray does not necessarily involve any diety.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• I would call 911. Then I would get the tire iron I keep under my nightstand and knock the sh*t out of the intruder. He'd probably be dead before I could pound out all my frustration on his ass. And then the gun would be mine.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:19 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• use the other deffinition of pray.

Do you mean to tell me you would not be screaming (even silently) with every fiber of you being hurry hurry, please help me?
    (no gods, God, necessary for that form of prayer) If you do blieve in god or gods, you might be praying to your diety.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Could a wish be construed as asking for intervention?

And yes, it made sense. The responses to the pic got my wheels spinning.
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• I think that God could be anything that you believe in. Even if it's your baseball bat. And saying you hope someone gets there is the same. It could be a prayer or it could just be a "hope".

I also have a baseball bat but as much as I want to beat someone for breaking in my house reality also says I may not be able to. If they are a good thief then they don't make noise and could be upon you before you even wake up fully or have your child with a knife held to them.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:46 PM on Dec. 19, 2012