ADHD Mommas: Metadate CD wearing off too soon

My 5 year old son was started on Metadate 10 mg for his ADHD and it lasted all day till about 5 pm but it wasn't strong enough so the dr upped it to 20 mg about a month ago. The first week it was fine. The second week his teacher said it was wearing off about 12/1 pm. Now she sent home a note saying it is now wearing off about 10/10:30 am. I can't get him in to his dr to see what can be done until the 27th. Anyone have this happen and what can I do until his appt. because when his meds wear off he becomes very whiny and crys about everything. I love my son but the whining and crying is driving me crazy because its with every little thing, his puppy sat next to him and he didn't want her there so he cried.

XandersMomma07

Asked by XandersMomma07 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How long was he on the lower dose? My son was started on Concerta in October, and I and noticing that it's not working as well now as it was a month ago. I am planning to call his doctor to ask about it. I am wondering if his body is getting used to the dose. He was started out very low and I knew that, but the initial effect was great. Can you call your doctor about it, or do you have to schedule a visit to discuss it?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Also, does your son drink juice? I have heard that vitamin C can flush the drug out of the system. It actually seems to, which is why we started giving my son orange juice in the evenings when he was having trouble sleeping.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• He was on the 10 mg for a month and a half, he doesn't get anything but milk and water at school and only juice in the evenings when hes home.
    XandersMomma07

Comment by XandersMomma07 (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• First, I'll say that not all drugs work the same. I got lucky when my kids were on the meds and the first one they tried worked, but many kids have to try at least two and sometimes many more before they find the one that does the trick for them. So it's possible that it just doesn't work for him and no dosage will help.

Next - can you go in and do a little looking to see what's going on? Even with a med not working, it just sounds kinda funny to me. If there's a way you can go in there without him knowing you're there and see what's going on, I would. Maybe someone is bothering him, or he's struggling to understand his work, or something that makes it look like his meds are wearing off and he's whiny, when in fact, it's got nothing to do with the meds.

Last thing - fish oil. In conjunction with the meds, try giving him some fish oil, which can help with concentration and focus.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Switch time. If the whine is happening it is because of several possible issues or both. 1) the rebound effect.. What happens when it wears off and body is withdrawing. It is keaving the system and some kids get moody and cranky. Or just super emotional or all of the above. 2) it's just not the right medicin. We did Focalin, my brain is foggy but I believe your son's is the generic for Focalin. I could be wrong bps once I had a harry day at my own work dealing with ADHD kids all day long. Focalin in genre real is known for lasting very short periods of time. Even with extended release. Concerts, in the same drug class, is actually smoother delivery and last so much longer. Don't give up. There are many different options and it just means hanging in there. When my own child starts a new ADHD medi cation my rule is follow up in two weeks. Not one month. This way we work it out sooner and make adjustments as neede
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• wendythewriter he is only in pre k so he doesn't really have work in class and he loves school he even wants to go on the weekends and he will tell me when there is someone bothering him he even tells me when he bothers others.
    frogdawg he has other issues to so we have to go month by month to be sure its actually ADHD related and not from something else.
    XandersMomma07

Comment by XandersMomma07 (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Does he take his meds on the weekend, too? If he does, how is he at home on the weekends? If the problem is the meds, then (in theory) you should be seeing the same thing at home as the teacher sees at school.

One other bit of advice I forgot to mention last night: keep in close communication with his teacher. She should be able to understand that you can't get a doctor's appointment at the drop of a hat. My kids teachers were always understanding that if they told me the meds didn't seem to be working anymore, it would be at least a week, probably two, maybe as much as 3-4 before I'd be able to get them in to the doctor. If she's demanding more immediiate results, I'd consider that maybe the problem isn't the meds not working, but the teacher expecting results that aren't reasonable (and I'd especially think about this if you don't see at home what she says she sees at school!).
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:04 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I've noticed that some people (and it's usually parents, but teachers and babysitters/daycares do it as well) expect the meds to be a magic pill that automatically makes the child a perfectly well-behaved child, a Stepford child. It doesn't. Well, there are the occasional exceptions. But for the most part, the meds are just to *help* the child. It calms them down, relaxes them in a sense, so that they can behave better - but ultimately, their behavior is up to them, just like any other child. So, for example, if they child is more prone to being hyper, the meds will curb that hyperactivity, but that doesn't mean the child won't still choose to get up and move around. Do you understand what I'm saying? If she's expecting that the meds will make him perfectly well behaved, the problem might not be the meds not working, but that she's blaming "normal" child behavior (talking, moving around) on the meds not working.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:08 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Wendythewriter yes he takes them on the weekend to and I've noticed the same issues the teacher has. His teacher is wonderful and does understand. She has actually taken a special interest in him because she is currently taking some classes to do more with special needs kids and my son has other issues along with the ADHD that classify him as special needs and he is the first child like that that she has had in class. She is very understanding about his appointments and everything she helped get his IEP going nd sends home notes with him everyday to let me know if there is anything I need to know and how he did that day in class etc. I know that the meds aren't goingto make him not me a kid but I know theyare supposed to help him function. The first week he was on them he was able to sit still for story time for example and now he can't. He is usually so calm on the meds and you can tell he seems happier, now complete opposite
    XandersMomma07

Comment by XandersMomma07 (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Dec. 20, 2012