What would you have done?

Suppose that you were completely strapped in the money department and were down to your last $30. You still had to buy groceries to supplement what you had in the cupboards and you need to buy gas to drive the kids to school.
You go to put the $30 in your wallet and while lining up the bills you notice the $10 is smaller than the $20. You look closely and realize it is a counterfeit bill. You got it from your bank that morning. Do you try to spend it and let the retailer (walmart) take the hit or do you report it to your bank and not spend it because it is illegal to do so?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2012 in Money & Work

• I would take it back to the bank. Banks have cameras... they can check them if they don't believe you.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Take it back to the bank.
    What if you get caught trying to pass the bill? X-mas in the poky is worse than being broke.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• The bank won't give you a real 10,so you're screwed either way

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• I'd report it.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• If your a regular banking customer, they know you - I'd go back to the bank. I don't think, you'd get tossed in jail for having a $10. bill - if you had several $10. bills and tried to pass them, then they may question you...
    Call your bank and ask - don't give your name unless they're willing to help...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Take it back to the bank.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Take it to the bank and request a different $10 bill. They were in the wrong for giving it to you in the first place.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• This is what I found on-line, I was curious as to what would you do:
    -i was given a fake $100.00 bill by B of A once. i cashed my paycheck (before i had direct deposit), and then went to deposit it at my bank where they caught it. they said they had no way of knowing where i got it. LOOK AT THE TRANSACTION FILM! anyway, my bank took it and gave me a notarized paper of counterfeit, or some such nonsense.
    i never got the money back, nor will i ever set foot in B of A again.
    -My mom pulled out money from her own bank's [bank of America] ATM.. & it gave her money & one of the bills that it gave her was the kind used in movies. & she didn't bother to look at her money.. it's from an ATM, nothing could be wrong, right? Put it in her wallet & drove off. She went wherever she was going & paid. & was denied for that bill. She knew it was from the ATM So she came back the next day & showed them & they basically laughed in her fac
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 7:01 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• regardless of wether the bank will give you a 10 for it, an arrest record ( felony for counterfiet) and bail money is more expensive than a 10.00 loss. Give it to the cops and alert the bank
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 7:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Even if they don't give you the money back (apparently they won't based on above comments) this would scare too much to pass it. Secret Service- those guys are serious.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:05 PM on Dec. 19, 2012