How can i get my 21 month old to stop head banging

How can i get my 21 month old to stop head banging the walls when he is going to bed at night and nap times.. He has been doing this for about 6 or more months now. His Dr says it is a stage but im not so sure if it is. He will do it when going to sleep and he will get up at between 2 and 3 am just about every day. i have been looing up ways to help find out how to stop him from doing it. My husband and i have been talking about taking him to a dr in Salt lake city but also dont know where we should even start.

any advice wold be nice, thanks

kcranmer

Asked by kcranmer at 10:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was a head banger too. It freaked us out for a while and we thought he wasn't going to stop! and something was wrong with hi. usually it was when he was upset, tired etc. he would just hit his head off the floor. My Dr. said not to worry it is a phase & she was right. When he does it, try to stop him in the middle of it & tell him NO don't do that & hug him. I know it is scary, trust me, I have spent many, many many, motnhs worrying in the past & don't look up stuff on the net because it will just freak you out more. Wait it out, let him turn two and see how its going...it is a very common thing. GL to you and try to stop him if ya can when you see him doing it.
    : D
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 10:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• oh ya there were many bruises also I know it is hard to see but it will get better.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• Yeah he has a spot on the back of his head that has no hair now from hitting his head so many times. we put padding on the walls around his bed to help it from him hitting it so hard now he will get out of bed and go to the door.
    kcranmer

Comment by kcranmer (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2012

• it is usually a stage but if you are concerned then take him and get a 2nd opinion.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 11:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2012