Is it okay to blame the humanists?

I thought this was an interesting perspective on the "godless schools" argument put forth by such shining examples of Christian love as Huckabee and Fischer, blaming secularism for the violence we've experienced in this nation.

While many are offended by such claims that the cases of violence can be blamed on the presence/non-presence of a benevolent/malevolent god, few consider the implication of the words by the likes of Gingrich, Fischer et al.  To suggest that the problems of this nation are due to the (supposedly) increased secularism of our society is to blame humanists/atheists for the rise in deadly violence.

If we were to look at other developed nations that don't impose religion or prayer on the public through schools or other government agencies, we would not see the same crime rate as we have here, in the U.S.  So, while atheists are blamed for the increased violence here, in the U.S. (indirectly, of course, through euphemisms and flawed logic), other developed nations enjoy more peace and better mental health.  

It is not religion that prevents senseless violence.

It is not atheists who cause it, either. 

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2012 in Religious Debate

• That is the exact point I thought of after seeing Hucklebee's statements: that he was blaming Atheists for the problems in the US.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:32 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Not much different than those who ask "If there is a God, why does he allow this" as a way to turn the screws on those that believe in God-

You don't see the difference between questioning a concept of a deity and directly accusing actual people? When people ask if there is a god, they are not accusing Christian human beings of causing whatever atrocious act brought it up. Far different than directly blaming those atheist human beings who don't believe in a god for being responsible by not believing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• True, NP. 

There's a world of difference between asking why a loving omnipotent god, if one exists, would allow such atrocities to happen, and blaming people like me, who support having a religion-neutral government, for causing the tragedies, which is what's implied by the likes of Huckabee and Fischer.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Not at all surprising considering that these guys actually do believe this. God (Jesus actually, but they are politically savvy enough to avoid naming him) literally stands as a shield between us and evil. And there are probably lots of people out there not thinking straight who are looking for an easy scape-goat. Give them atheists and gun control.

However, the thing that struck me was.. was he saying these godless kids deserved it? So adults take God out of the schools. Kids believe less and become more accepting of heathen ideas. So naturally eventually these kids will get mowed down by crazies as a result. God is punishing the non-believing children? Or does God purposely and slowly torture children (indiscriminate of the child's actual belief) as pawns to make his point against... people who don't believe he exists anyway? What do these guys really think they are saying??
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• NP- no, I see both as an attempt by people to exploit a situation for their own gain and/or to make a point that can either wait or not be made at all- it takes a self-centered person to use the pain of someone else as their own platform-when one of your first reactions is post about pro-gun, anti- God(s) or anti- Atheists- then you indeed have your priorities out of whack- and if you do not understand the parallel then perhaps a few classes on human behavior could help-we do what we do because of what we are- egocentric, shallow, selfish, self-aware, low self-esteem, high self-esteem, etc.... I do like coming on here every once in a while because I see so many behaviors in so many situations- from the crowd and adult bully mentality to those looking for comfort or to provide comfort- it is so interesting and really helps me in my work-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:45 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• "I'm surpised that they haven't blamed Canada yet!"

now we have :P

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:26 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• and if you do not understand the parallel then perhaps a few classes on human behavior could help-

I liked you more when you weren't such a condescending bitch. I also pity you that you can't see the difference between discussing a deity and discussing real people.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• No worries NP- what you think of me is unimportant-I am fine with everyone and whatever they decide to post-I take no offense from anyone because learning and understanding what makes people tick is important to me- you can save the pity as well, because the "where is your God" is discussing people and their beliefs rather than their deity, but I am nearly certain you knew that-you have an interesting personality and I learn a lot from you, so please continue to post exactly what you think-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• because the "where is your God" is discussing people and their beliefs rather than their deity

In your opinion, but have you ever bothered to ask the people asking the question? I've asked it, js has asked it. I know for a fact I am discussing the philosophical constructs of the deity, not the people. I won't speak for js, but based on her past questions and answers, it appears to be the same for her. If you don't understand that, perhaps you should consider a philosophy of religion class. Or we could all just go on your ASSumption.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:44 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I know why they ask- if you follow the pattern of someones online persona you know why they ask-but again, I appreciate your posts- after finishing my grant work on multi-culturalism (which is why I was almost never here for a while-but what I learned on here was so important) I have decided to further my education so your responses are great- I really do need to know what makes people tick- just today we were talking about safety in schools and the difference in responses from our parents-some want staff armed, some kept their kids home, some brought food for the staff, some railed our current safety procedures-watching this discussion helps me understand where people come from and their reactions-its either about them and reaffirming what they already think of society or trying to understand it-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:07 PM on Dec. 20, 2012