Is it okay to blame the humanists?

I thought this was an interesting perspective on the "godless schools" argument put forth by such shining examples of Christian love as Huckabee and Fischer, blaming secularism for the violence we've experienced in this nation.

While many are offended by such claims that the cases of violence can be blamed on the presence/non-presence of a benevolent/malevolent god, few consider the implication of the words by the likes of Gingrich, Fischer et al.  To suggest that the problems of this nation are due to the (supposedly) increased secularism of our society is to blame humanists/atheists for the rise in deadly violence.

If we were to look at other developed nations that don't impose religion or prayer on the public through schools or other government agencies, we would not see the same crime rate as we have here, in the U.S.  So, while atheists are blamed for the increased violence here, in the U.S. (indirectly, of course, through euphemisms and flawed logic), other developed nations enjoy more peace and better mental health.  

It is not religion that prevents senseless violence.

It is not atheists who cause it, either. 

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I do understand that "some" on the spectrum rage more as they age and thats a challenge but I do believe there is a difference between that type of rage and the violence of a killer, the uninformed do not know the difference and thats a shame -I do believe that the Columbine Survivor is on to something- we have become a more self-centered society and we have less empathy and do not take responsibility for our behavior (Ann Coulter is a good example-why is what she says OK and even worse broadcast) some will argue that the secularism as they see it as practiced in schools is to blame-I disagree with that- what some say is a "Godless Society" is actually just our society and people with and without God in their life are just as prone to the self-centered type of behavior that devoids us of empathy and humanity-I think screaming about gun rights in the wake of the tragedy is a good example as is blaming God or the lack thereof-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:43 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Yes we Need to examine all contributing factors to tragedies. But ultimately the sole responsibility lies in the person who chooses to act on that violent urge.
    Does that mean our society isn't becoming more and more self centered and apathetic in an individual basis? No. We are and it's becoming and more evident. But how do we change it? I think it all starts on an individual basis. And having less people like that Ann bitch as a talking head.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:18 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Funny I was agreeing until Beeky's post. Christianity is always accused of being the most guilty ridden group because of their religion.
    You don't have guilt withou taking responsibility.
    Some christians don't take rsponsibility, soma atheists don't, some jews don't, pick a religion non-religion. The majorit of people are good people and saying things with the purpose of trying to divide people and keep them turned against each other is sad.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:21 AM on Dec. 22, 2012