My daughter has had strep throat 5 times in 3 months, is there anything I can do to prevent it from coming back so soon?

Both me and my husband have been tested for being a carrier both are negative. She started Nursurey school in April and right after that started getting the strep, I have asked the school and no one else has gotten it.

ALWAYZAMOM

Asked by ALWAYZAMOM at 12:16 PM on Jul. 23, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Is she getting her antibiotic for the full 10 days? Perhaps a different antibiotic.
    jaschem

Answer by jaschem at 12:17 PM on Jul. 23, 2008

• Have her eat lots of yogurt, the live cultures in it are wonderful for that sorda stuff.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 12:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2008

• she may have to have her tonsils taken out.  I'm a carrier of strep throat.  i can get it anytime during the year.  I dont have insurance, so i havent done it yet.  Ask her doctor if that could be it.  get more than one opinion though.  their making more money giving you antibiotics all the time than to just take care of the problem.

JabbaWockeez757

Answer by JabbaWockeez757 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2008

• Probiotics, echinacea and even garlic should all help. She might need an immune system boost. You can buy a wellness kit from HERBS FOR KIDS or just the 'SWEET ECHINACEA". It will naturally boost her immune system. Garlic kills infection and is a natural antibiotic. Probiotics, such as acidophiles will rebuild the good bacteria in her stomach that gets destroyed by antibiotics. Natures Way makes a children's primadophilus which is a powder and is awesome. Or you can get chewable acidophiles tablets.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:58 AM on Jul. 26, 2008

• You should have yourselves tested for strep when she has it even if you are not having symptoms. You may just be passing it back and forth. Make sure you throw her toothbrush away after each onset. Depending on her age, you might want to consider a tonsillectomy.
    bluebyrdx3

Answer by bluebyrdx3 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2008

• you may also go to www.herbdoc.com he has tonics for just about anything you can also call them and ask questions and what to take for your situation hope i was of some help good luck

libraNgemini

Answer by libraNgemini at 2:48 AM on Jul. 27, 2008

• have her tonsils taken out, I kept getting it like a week after I would come off the meds and got them taken out and have not had any more problems, The sooner the better, talk to you doctor about it, my brother was born and had strap a week later and kept it till he was 2 and could have them taken out .

hollinicole

Answer by hollinicole at 9:14 AM on Aug. 1, 2008