Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a non custodial parent claim a child on TANF and to receive Emergency Assistance?

The Non Custodial Parent only gets child every other weekend. Is it legal for the NCP to claim TANF and emergency assistance on the child? The NCP pays child support, the child resides with the custodial parent and attends a school full time in a different county.

If is not allowed, how do you go about getting it taken care of that the NCP can no longer claim the child on it

Answer Question

Asked by annabelle092810 at 8:18 AM on Dec. 20, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 17 (3,668 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • It depends on your state, but I would call the welfare office and let them know that you believe your ex is trying to claim your child and that he is the NCP and offer them the court order as proof. I believe they can claim their child support as a deduction from their income, but not claim the child as living with them full time. How do you know he is trying to claim the child?

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

  • The ex has 2 children and a eligible child must be btwn 5-18, there is a 1 year old and a 6 year old. The ex is the CP to the 1 year old who does not qualify bc of age, and that only leaves the 6 year old.

    Comment by annabelle092810 (original poster) at 8:25 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

  • No. No state would.

    Answer by frogdawg at 8:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

  • I wouldn't think so but a judge told my ex (kids visit him every other weekend) last time we were in court for child support non payment that he needed to apply for food stamps for the time the kids were with him?!?
    But I think she didn't know what she was talking about. She's since been disbarred on another matter.

    Answer by missanc at 10:04 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

  • Where did you hear of the age requirements for TANF having to be between 5 and 18? Ive worked in social services for 25 years, and Ive never heard of that. But to answer your question, the state I live in specifies that you must have the child 51% of the time to claim them for any assistance such as TANF or food stamps, and only one parent can claim them.

    Answer by Nimue930 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

  • It depends on the state, however why is it you want to turn him in? This seems to me to benefit your child in the long run and you just seem to want revenge.

    Answer by Dardenella at 11:52 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

  • It has nothing to do with revenge. It was a simple question.

    Comment by annabelle092810 (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

  • Your question made me curious so I ran a search through our system at work... None of the 50 states show having an age requirement of 5-18 for TANF. Where are you?

    Answer by Nimue930 at 7:40 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

  • im sure they have a fraud department. are you trying to get TANF and they wont allow you because the other parent already has?

    Answer by jazmya_mom at 6:11 AM on Dec. 23, 2012

  • It was just ? I was was asking about.

    Comment by annabelle092810 (original poster) at 8:56 AM on Dec. 23, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.