How do you address the disturbing things that in the news with your kids (grammar school age)? Especially after NEWTOWN. Are your kids fearful of the world??

divinemomma

Asked by divinemomma at 9:13 AM on Dec. 20, 2012 in General Parenting

• my son is 10. we talked on friday night. I knew we could not go anywhere that weekend where he would'nt see or hear things. I just told him that a bad guy did a bad thing, explained what happened. then told him his school was safe, and in what ways. he said he was scared to go to school, but by Monday morning he had forgotten about it...until the principal addressed it on the intercom. He knows he can tell me anything, so i don't pester him. I'm confident if he's feeling something, he'll tell me (or drop the clues i need to ask a question). We talk every night about everything from silly to serious during our reading time, so the opportunity for conversation is available. I do try to not have the news on around him lately, becasue i cry every time. I don't want him to see my sadness and fear. He knows it's there, he doesn't need to see it constantly (and i cannot read or hear about this without crying).
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 5:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• This is going to be a very unpopular opinion, but I honestly believe some people are making their kids more anxious about the whole thing than they ever would've been without prodding. Kids are resilient. It's parents who brood over these things and keep bringing them up, consciously or unconsciously, that are stressing them out, not the shooting itself.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:59 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I tell them the truth. My kids are not fearful of the world, why should they be? Yes it's worrisome to me, but I'm nt going to make my kids paranoid over things none of us can control.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• DD is more fearful of things than DS. She is a couple of years younger. I have explained that they have a higher likelihood to be struck by lightening than to have something like that happen. I have always taught them to be aware of their surroundings, but as elementary aged kids go, they only grasp it when it is convenient to do so.  I tell them that they can't be fearful of the world or they won't ever really get to experience the greatness of other people in it.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:17 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• We are really open and honest about things here. They ask questions and we give answers.
    They were a lot more worried 3 weeks ago when cities near Tel Aviv were being hit with rockets, mostly because we have family in those towns and they've been there. But it didn't interfere with their daily lives. And when they were scared or worried, we comforted them the best we could.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:23 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• If they ask questions I answer them. If they don't, I let it be. I've been watching the news every night, and they've seen some of the coverage about Newtown. They've only asked a couple of questions. Other than that, their world, to them, hasn't changed.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:35 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Touched on it briefly, especially in school.... but other than that, no. We turned off all news and media coverage. Why should children be exposed to that 24/7. Let them enjoy themselves while they are still too young to realize the world is a mess.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:41 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• My kids are 4 and 8 and they know nothing of the events in Newtown. We do not generally watch the news - we read it- so the kids just don't hear it. If they had heard anything about it we would have addressed it honestly. They know the world has bad people in it. They now about death and about violence. We have never tried to hide that from them. They also know that mommy and daddy want to do everything they can to keep them safe.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:52 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• My grandson is 12. He is awared of what has happened and he is aware that evil is in the world. There are many good people in the world and there are more good people than bad. The bad people just make the news and are brought to our attention.
    He knows you have to be careful of your choices and there are somethings that no matter hove good the choices you make something bad can happen. He is aware but not afraid.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I talk to my kids truthfully. The are 13 and 11 so they hear stuff. I had to talk to them before they went back to school.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 20, 2012