How mad would you be?

I got this from one of the featured things on the main page of CM. It's originally from The Stir.

The gist is that a woman went into the hospital to get a hysterectomy. When she woke up she found out that the doctors had also performed an abortion on her. She was 14 weeks pregnant with a boy. She had 3 little girls at home already.

This is why I'm pro choice. This woman never had a choice whether to keep #4 or not.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/148419/mom_gets_abortion_she_never

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 11:46 AM on Dec. 20, 2012 in Health

• I'm not in the medical field, but it was probably too late by the time they got to the point of seeing that she was pregnant to do anything so make if possible for her to carry the baby full term.... Another thing that confuses me is how did they know she was 14 weeks pregnant...? There's too many holes in this story for me to take it seriously.... It's the internet, so I take everything with a grain of salt...IMO she should have made sure she wasn't pregnant, before having the procedure.
    I had the novasure procedure a few years back, and the first thing they did was a pregnancy test to be sure I wasn't, before doing the procedure, and that was just to prevent my monthly cycle.....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I question the veracity of anything that shows up in the Stir to begin with, but yes, as a hypothetical situation, I'd be pissed. I'd also wonder how the hell they didn't do a pregnancy test first.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Everyone I know who's had any type f female related surgeries are given a pregnancy test. They obviously missed a lot, I'd be pissed and would sue the ever loving life out of the doctors, nurses and hospital.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Personally I think it's Bull Crap. If she actually had the operation done at an actual REAL Hospital in the USA then with EVERY surgery done they do a Pregnancy test beforehand. I have had many surgeries at many different hospitals & this is common place.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I would sue... I can not understand why a pregnancy test was not preformed prior to the procedure. I had to have one 4 weeks after DS was born to start birth control!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:55 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Wow, if this is true as written, there would be heads rolling all over that hospital by the time I got done.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:56 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I would sue. They are suppose to do a pregnancy test and ultrasound BEFORE that surgery
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• It makes me so mad to hear stories like this. I can't believe some of the doctors these days. I would definitely sue. That's awful.

Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 12:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I thought it was common practice to do a pregnancy test before every surgery on all females of childbearing age. I know I had one before I had my port-a-cath and GI tube put in when I was 14 even though I was still a virgin. Better to be safe than sorry.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• ^^ Same with me.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 12:22 PM on Dec. 20, 2012