Finally figured out what happend with GGM and her doctor

He was nice enough to talk to us today and explained that doctors have a therapeutic privilege (?). That basically means that doctors have the right to not disclose certain information to patients if they think that the information could pose serious and immediate harm to the patient, such as prompting suicidal behavior. I can understand that. Hearing that you have bone cancer and you're going to die soon and there's nothing they can do about it would have been devastating to my GGM, so I understand why he would think it was better to not tell her. Hell, we haven't even told her yet, how do you tell somebody something like that? I still wish there could've been some way that the family could've known what was going on.

Hollyhock.

Asked by Hollyhock. at 12:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2012 in Health

• When we found out my Grandma has terminal lung cancer, her doctor actually called me at home (I was listed on her record as being allowed to know). He told me he wanted to tell her in his office, in case she had a bad reaction. I called my mom, and my uncle, and he went with us when we took her to the doctor's office. The doctor was actually very gentle, and she already knew, what with everyone who went. May be the case with your GGM. She may already have an idea. So sorry to hear. Hope you all figure it all out. Take care.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 1:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Sorry to hear this. Sounds like a rough situation for everyone. But I'm glad the doctor sat down and explained it all to you. Good luck.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I sorry. I'm glad the family is aware now.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Thank you everyone :). I am glad we know now and we still have a little time left. I was so confused, I had no idea doctors could do that.
    Hollyhock.

Comment by Hollyhock. (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2012