10 year old, never finished a chapter book?!@?!?!

One of my bffs and I were talking about kids and books and reading and she says her dd dosnt realy read, ( can read, but dosnt unless has to for school) And that she hasnt realy ever read an actual chapter book to the end. I find that realy sad! She never buys her any books, or encourages her to read...yet complains when the teacher gives her a -C in English...hmmm Gee I wonder! Sorry for the rant, but I was speechless when she told me that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Dec. 20, 2012 in General Parenting

• It's a struggle for some kids. I love to read as does my teen but with my 2 little ones it's like pulling teeth. What I have to do is set aside 30 minutes in the afternoon and read with them. We all read our own books silently - otherwise they would never read.
    Tesserae

Answer by Tesserae at 1:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I agree that some kids just don't enjoy it as much as others but i has to be encouraged from a young age for the love of reading to really catch hold. my oldest dd will go through a short chapter book in like an hour (Diary of a Wimpy Kid ones she read like 4 in 1/2 a day!). my 2nd dd is barely learning but with her it is like pulling teeth and she just complains and whines and doesn't want to do it :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 1:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Well, she should be encouraging it, but some kids just don't like to read. My oldest is 11 and he is only just starting to get to the point where he enjoys reading for its own sake, rather than doing it just because he has to. My 9 yr old still only does it because I make him.

As far as never finishing a book - maybe she just hasn't found one that truly captured her interest? I'm an avid reader, and I've been known to stop reading a book because it just didn't get my attention. So, for someone who's not really into reading, I would imagine they'd be even more likely to stop reading when it doesn't interest them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• My kids weren't big readers when they were young and it was a little disappointing since I LOVE to read. I got some chapter books I enjoyed as a child and starting when they were in 1st grade I read with them every night. They are now in 6th and 7th grades and most nights we still read together but somewhere along the way they picked up my love of reading and will recommend books to me! Maybe her dd just hasn't found a book that interests her?

Answer by missanc at 1:43 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Some people just aren't into reading. My DD isn't that great of a reader, but she loves to read. I know people who read great, but do not like to read. Many time it's not about how well you can read, it's about how your imagination works.

I wouldn't put down the parents. Them not buying the books is very likely not the reason the kid doesn't read...and to force it many times will just make things worse.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I hate to admit it, but I am that way too... lol I was NEVER one for reading and even to this day I am still that way. I can read just fine, I just don't like to. It puts me to sleep something fierce. haha But I do encourage my son to read because I don't want him to be the way I am where reading is concerned.

We made a trip to the library over the weekend and we have been back twice because he's finished his books so quickly. Makes me proud that he's a reader... :0)
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 2:48 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• She never buys her any books, or encourages her to read...yet complains when the teacher gives her a -C in English

This is the part that bugs me. I get that some kids don't enjoy curling up with a good book, but when it means the kid's education is suffering, the parent needs to try something. Some posters above give good examples of how to encourage it. Obviously, I don't know the whole story but IF what you imply is true - that the parent's don't really try to encourage good literacy and then whine that their kid isn't getting great grades (or worse, blames it on the teacher) - this is just lazy parenting and it is the kid who will suffer.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 5:19 PM on Dec. 20, 2012