Manmade Ice

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions about ice skating last week. My daughter took to the ice like a fish to water. It was a great experience for her.

The ice was synthetic. I'd never seen anything like it. The winter hasn't been cold enough here in Colorado to make real ice--yesterday and today aside, it's freezing! So the base of the rink was plywood, covered in varnish and then wax, and sprayed with something very close to Pam, or cooking spray, that you use on your pans. It worked very well for skates, although it got jackets and snow pants absolutely filthy with wax and oil, during the inevitable spills.

What will they think of next?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2012 in General Parenting

• Very interesting. The city we live in has a downtown outdoor ice rink this year, and it's never cold enough to make real ice in the part of California we live in. I had wondered how they were doing it, this must be the type they have.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Living in NC, our outdoor rinks are always synthetic. My kids love to go!

Answer by missanc at 1:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• We have nothing but synthetic ice rinks here but I've never heard of a problem with waxy stuff on clothing!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 3:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2012