Would you do this if your kid did this?

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/mom-makes-son-carry-sign-being-disrespectful-public-173700623.html

After reading the article, I can see where the mom is coming from. I think more kids need a strong kick in the pants to behave better in school & when the grown-ups aren't watching as well. What do you think?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 20, 2012 in General Parenting

• Sense he said those things in class. He would apologize in front of the class, to the teacher.

Answer by louise2 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I think with some kids it might work. I wouldn't do that to my daughter. She would be so humiliated. It doesn't take much to punish my child but that has alot to do with temperament as well as how she has been raised. However, I know some children are harder to discipline but I would hope that parents would exhaust all other options before resorting to public punishment. I think it can really hurt a child.

booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• if she did that she would finally figure out what a spanking was, so far she is spank free but I am not opposed
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 3:55 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I did public appologiges but mine were never bad enough for suspension. I wish every parent would take the responsibility for their child as this woman has and make their child publicly take responsibility as well.

Frankly I never thought of this. Good move.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:26 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I don't know. I don't think humiliation is a good form of discipline. I don't think I'd ever do something like that, but I don't know her son or how far he's pushed her lol.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 3:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I really hate the trend that parents have of publicly humiliating their children in order to make them behave. Bad parenting IMO.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I think an essay on why it's wrong to be disrespectful to others would have been more appropriate. He could have read it in front of the class, to the teacher. We did that with our oldest when he was being that same way to his brother. That was 3 yrs ago, and he's not done it since....
    So IMO a little more thought should have went into her punishment...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I agree with Dardenella, I think to many parents these days let their child get off easy with "weak punishments" that don't send a message, except that the kids are willing to get in trouble because what is to become of it is NOTHING.

Good move on her part.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 6:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Humiliation will breed anger every time. It seems to me there's already enough anger in that family. Maybe something like a letter of apology, read out loud to the teacher in front of the class, would have been more constructive.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:19 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• ^^I see your point, but didn't he already publicly humiliate himself in the classroom w/ his outburst? And didn't he try to publicly humiliate his teacher by disrespecting her in front of the whole class?

mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2012