When people want a "Christian nation" is this really what they want?

This article contains a rather graphic description of what happened to one man for asking the question “How do I know who the true God is?” in a country with blasphemy laws, so I won't quote it, only link to it for those who want to read the whole thing.   He was convicted for insulting Islam and Christianity by asking.

It goes on to reference studies about the 53% of the countries in the world which have laws criminalizing blaspehmy, apostasy, and defamation of religion, and the countries where people are socially hostile to anyone who disagrees with their religion. (those are also linked inside the original article)

So when we hear that this is a "Christian nation" or we need "God back in school" or that there's a "war on religion", is this really the type of environment people want to create?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Wrong anon.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:22 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I think when people express their wishes about a Christian nation, they're looking for the best of what Christianity has to offer, although often the media shows us the worst. As a Christian, I do feel that the country is turning hostile toward those who share my faith, fueled by a rightful disgust with people like the Baptist nut jobs from Westboro. I wouldn't want to live under a government that outlawed free speech or forced people to follow a particular religion, or any religion at all. I'm perfectly fine with people of different faiths who can live peacefully together. When I wish for a Christian nation, I guess I wish for one in which citizens loved their neighbors as themselves. If Christians and non-Christians alike didn't steal, lie, kill, covet, what a great nation we would have!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• We were a Christian Nation and now we are not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• It seems too many forget history lessons. If they'd look back, they'd realize that having an established religion in a country does not benefit the people of said country. Didn't the first colonists come to America to practice their religion freely and flee actual persecution?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Take prayer in schools for example. Which prayer? The Hail Mary? Or something more Evangelical where you just praise Jesus for everything? Things could get kind of sticky, I think.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• In all honesty, when people speak of a Christian nation, they mean one certain type of Christianity. It would likely be a bunch of thumpers sitting around talking about the end times. And I'm not sure what kind of environment those people want to create. They probably haven't thought much about it. However, if a Christian nation ever did exist here, there are certain kinds of Christians who carry a lot of weight now who will no longer enjoy that status... namely the Catholic Church.

It would be interesting to see what would happen with the different denominations if Christianity were the established religion here. Would the Evangelicals overrule everyone else? Would the Catholic Church win the spot of the "American Church"? Or would a mainstream Protestant denom win out? They would have to choose, I think. They can't agree on much of anything except that they think they're persecuted.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I think (hope) that most of the people wishing for a Christian nation haven't given it more than a cursory thought.

Kinda like if someone said "How would you like a house made of chocolate?" My first thought would be "Hell yeah! Sounds awesome!", but if I actually chose to really think it through, I would realize how miserable that would be.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 7:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I don't want a Christian nation.  I like freedom of religion.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• They are not even close to being the same thing. sweetie.

I don't know why I'm bothering to feed the troll, but please, enlighten us all on how your brand of theocracy is more super special than everyone else's. Tell us how you know for a fact that if the US was a Christian Nation, 3 generations from now, Jews, pagans and atheists wouldn't be in prison?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2012