When people want a "Christian nation" is this really what they want?

This article contains a rather graphic description of what happened to one man for asking the question “How do I know who the true God is?” in a country with blasphemy laws, so I won't quote it, only link to it for those who want to read the whole thing.   He was convicted for insulting Islam and Christianity by asking.

It goes on to reference studies about the 53% of the countries in the world which have laws criminalizing blaspehmy, apostasy, and defamation of religion, and the countries where people are socially hostile to anyone who disagrees with their religion. (those are also linked inside the original article)

So when we hear that this is a "Christian nation" or we need "God back in school" or that there's a "war on religion", is this really the type of environment people want to create?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I will take freedom of speech and freedom of religion.
    I did not want to read the atyicle, thanks anyway NP.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I did not want to read the atyicle

I don't blame you, that's why I only used the link and added the warning.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I don't think people fully grasp what they are saying when they say it. It's a nifty little statement with absolutely no thought behind it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Some, probably yes.  Many seem to want a willing conversion to their particular faith, while there are still others who would prefer a conversion, but are content if the population expresses at least some belief in a deity, preferably the Abrahamic one.  I think it's safe to say that people really like to have others agree with them, and the best proof of that agreement is to live a similar lifestyle with similar habits, including religious ones.  To have neighbors stray too far from the "norm" makes for very uncomfortable relationships.  What bothers me is that those countries that impose physical or social punishment upon those who express doubts create such fear that many people will pretend to believe, and raise their children to believe what they don't, simply so that they can live and live without fear of being discovered to be skeptics.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Egypt is NOT a "Christian Nation" It is an Islamic nation.
    Anonymous

Way to miss the point completely, sweetie.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Comparing apples to oranges, when asking people if this is what they want from a "Christian Nation" and you compare it to and Islamic nation. They are not even close to being the same thing. sweetie.

Anonymous

• They are not even close to being the same thing. sweetie.

I don't know why I'm bothering to feed the troll, but please, enlighten us all on how your brand of theocracy is more super special than everyone else's. Tell us how you know for a fact that if the US was a Christian Nation, 3 generations from now, Jews, pagans and atheists wouldn't be in prison?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I don't want a Christian nation.  I like freedom of religion.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2012