When people want a "Christian nation" is this really what they want?

This article contains a rather graphic description of what happened to one man for asking the question “How do I know who the true God is?” in a country with blasphemy laws, so I won't quote it, only link to it for those who want to read the whole thing.   He was convicted for insulting Islam and Christianity by asking.

It goes on to reference studies about the 53% of the countries in the world which have laws criminalizing blaspehmy, apostasy, and defamation of religion, and the countries where people are socially hostile to anyone who disagrees with their religion. (those are also linked inside the original article)

So when we hear that this is a "Christian nation" or we need "God back in school" or that there's a "war on religion", is this really the type of environment people want to create?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2012 in Religious Debate

• In all honesty, when people speak of a Christian nation, they mean one certain type of Christianity. It would likely be a bunch of thumpers sitting around talking about the end times. And I'm not sure what kind of environment those people want to create. They probably haven't thought much about it. However, if a Christian nation ever did exist here, there are certain kinds of Christians who carry a lot of weight now who will no longer enjoy that status... namely the Catholic Church.

It would be interesting to see what would happen with the different denominations if Christianity were the established religion here. Would the Evangelicals overrule everyone else? Would the Catholic Church win the spot of the "American Church"? Or would a mainstream Protestant denom win out? They would have to choose, I think. They can't agree on much of anything except that they think they're persecuted.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Take prayer in schools for example. Which prayer? The Hail Mary? Or something more Evangelical where you just praise Jesus for everything? Things could get kind of sticky, I think.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Wrong anon.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:22 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Some, probably yes.  Many seem to want a willing conversion to their particular faith, while there are still others who would prefer a conversion, but are content if the population expresses at least some belief in a deity, preferably the Abrahamic one.  I think it's safe to say that people really like to have others agree with them, and the best proof of that agreement is to live a similar lifestyle with similar habits, including religious ones.  To have neighbors stray too far from the "norm" makes for very uncomfortable relationships.  What bothers me is that those countries that impose physical or social punishment upon those who express doubts create such fear that many people will pretend to believe, and raise their children to believe what they don't, simply so that they can live and live without fear of being discovered to be skeptics.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I think (hope) that most of the people wishing for a Christian nation haven't given it more than a cursory thought.

Kinda like if someone said "How would you like a house made of chocolate?" My first thought would be "Hell yeah! Sounds awesome!", but if I actually chose to really think it through, I would realize how miserable that would be.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 7:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• It seems too many forget history lessons. If they'd look back, they'd realize that having an established religion in a country does not benefit the people of said country. Didn't the first colonists come to America to practice their religion freely and flee actual persecution?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I will take freedom of speech and freedom of religion.
    I did not want to read the atyicle, thanks anyway NP.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I don't think people fully grasp what they are saying when they say it. It's a nifty little statement with absolutely no thought behind it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I don't want a Christian nation.  I like freedom of religion.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2012