Finding a pediatrician

My pediatrician just recently passed during surgery and after having him I realized he was so involved and wonderful so now I'm trying to find someone who can come close to filling his shoes so how do I go about interviewing different drs. What questions should I ask I'm drawing a blank. I'm looking for someone who you can just tell on vibe that they love their job and kids. How do I set this up

wifey000175554

Asked by wifey000175554 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2012 in Pregnancy

• most offices will schedule a meet-the-ped appt for free.

ask around town too
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:56 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I took a breast feeding course & they had a list of highly recommended Pediatricians in the area. You could also ask your OBGYN who they recommend. They deal with Pediatricians every day after they deliver a baby.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Best way is to ask around people you know in the area, we had a reccomendation from a friend and the hospital where I had my daughter also had him on their list of referals so that kind of confirmed it for us and we were really happy with him, you could always call the hopsital where you had your children and see who their preferred pedi's are or your OB, its also a personal thing though what one family loves doesnt quite work for the next family, all the best!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• http://www.ratemds.com/

http://www.healthgrades.com/

http://www.vitals.com/

I used all three of these sites to help me choose a new doctor for our family. If you're in PA, and come across her, Gretchen Lockard is an AMAZING doctor. Dec 15th was her last day here in Seattle. She's moving to PA to take care of her elderly parents. She's been our doctor for 8.5 years.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Even with recommendations and interviews, you may just have to try different docs out. Our pediatrician is part of a large group. I actually picked someone else in the beginning because a friend highly recommended him, but after a few visits I realized I'm just not totally happy with him. Meanwhile, I saw this other doc just clearly interacting so well with his patients (ie: I once saw him carrying a laughing girl on his shoulders to the weight scale while her brother followed saying "Do me next! Do me next!") He's been perfect for us - treats my son with understanding and dignity, and is very good with me too.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Well it depends on what you are looking for in a ped. I would ask for recommendations, look over who is covered by my insurance and nearby etc and then set up get to know you appointments. We personally do not see a ped but rather a family doc because I could not find a ped I liked and LOVED my doctor who said he would treat my kids too.
    Anonymous