Ironically, non-voters are happy to vote in a poll about why they don't vote

Any of the results you don't buy, or are surprised by?

Margin of error info, etc are at the link.  Not copying all of the results over, so there's more number crunching there, too.

--------------------------------------------

Key Findings: Profiling Non-voters

Non-voters tend to skew younger, with nearly a third (31%) being under 30.

Non-voters also tend to be less affluent, as six in ten have a household income of less than $50,000 ( vs. 41% of voters).

They also tend to be less educated; over four in ten have a high school education or less, and just 30% are college graduates.

Nearly a quarter of non-voters are Hispanic (vs. 7% of voters).

In terms of their political affiliation, non-voters tend to skew Democrat (26% Democrat vs. 15% Republican), but they are also more likely to affiliate themselves with some other party (13%) or to refuse (14%).  Nearly half (44%) would have voted for Obama, while just 26% would have voted for Romney.

In terms of ideology, a plurality (36%) say they aren't sure, 15% consider themselves to be liberal, 27% moderate, and 21% conservative.  

While over half of voters and non-voters alike say that they country is off on the wrong track, non-voters are less likely to say things are going in the right direction (26% vs. 40%), and to say they aren't sure (20% vs. 7%).

Both groups share similar and optimistic view about their family's financial situation, with six in ten expecting things to improve next year.

Yet financial and economic concerns are by far the most important problem, including the economy in general, jobs and unemployment (though voters are more likely than non-voters to say this), and the budget and deficit.

Less than half of non-voters say that they follow what's going in government some or most of the time (vs. 81% of voters).  Male non-voters tend to be more tuned in than women.

Key Findingsti Barriers to VoAng

More than four in ten non-voters have never voted, and few say that their friends and family voted.

Over a quarter of non-voters say that they didn't vote because they weren't registered, by far the top reason.

Those who aren't registered say it is because they just never registered (21%), they don't care much about politics (14%), or because the candidates just do what they want anyway (11%).  Some cite problems with registration, such as registering too late (5%), registration issues (2%), having to work during registration hours (1%), distance from registration location (2%), or not knowing how to register (2%).

Other top reasons for not voting in this election include choosing not to (18%), the belief that their vote wouldn't make a difference (16%), dislike of the candidates (14%), and lack of interest in politics (12%).

A quarter blame logistical or timing issues, such as not having a way to get to the polls (7%), having to work (7%), or travel (4%).

Non-voters are most likely to say that allowing internet voting, cleaning up government, and having more or beer candidates would encourage people like them to vote.

Voters are more likely than non-voters to say that cleaning up government and keeping people more informed would help motivate people to vote. 

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:25 PM on Dec. 20, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I've heard the "my vote doesn't matter" argument, as well as the "all politicians are corrupt anyways" argument more than I can count. But, the truth of the matter is that things won't change unless we the people demand them to.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I believe what I have read so far. I have to make dinner so I just made a little dent in the link. With some of these things in mind I have to be thankful that some low information individuals aren't voting.

I'm not surprised so far though.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:07 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Wow, things have changed. The first time I was old enough to vote, I was so happy to do it! I voted for Barry Goldwater in 1964 ( I couldn't stand LBJ and I wanted him out)
    I have voted in every election since then.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 6:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• The only non-voter that I know personally is my mother. She's 52 and has never voted. She's been thoroughly middle class her entire life, her entire family votes, and she has *some* college education. She's never shown any interest in politics. None. Zilch. Zero. I don't really understand it, but there it is.

As for the information above, I don't really have any thoughts about it because, like I said, I'm not acquainted with any other (openly) non voters. I have never formed any opinions or theories about them.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 7:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I have a friend who refuses to vote. She has a Master's degree. She's just so afraid of making the wrong choice that she doesn't vote at all.

For myself, I always vote because a lot of people have died to give me a voice.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2012

• What I find encouraging about the results of this study is that it brings me to the conclusion that a majority of the non-voters in that study didn't know the issues or where the candidates stood on issues. I know that some just said that they did not have an opportunity to vote, but a larger number of those surveyed admitted to not knowing the issues. Now, if only all voters would stay away from the voting booth until they know the issues and where the candidates stand on them. I know, wishful thinking.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:01 AM on Dec. 21, 2012