What type of cake did you have for your childs 1st birthday?

My son is almost a year old. Do you have any ideas of what to put on a cake? something different than the usual. Also, did you let your baby eat cake on his/ her bday?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Food & Drink

• For my first son it was 101 dalmations, second son curious George and third son Ratatoulle. Not too original but yea I let them sample the cake.
    Anonymous

• We had a baseball themed party for my son - it was called Lil' Sluggers 1st Birthday. I had it at a playground and served "baseball park" themed foods such as mini hotdogs (pigs in a blanket), popcorn, etc. Instead of cake and having to worry about cutting it I just had a lady make baseball cupcakes. She also made baby cakes for 1 year olds - his was a small round baseball. He had a blast eating it - great for pictures. You have to let him have his own cake - it is a tradition and have your camera ready.
    SuperBamaMom

Answer by SuperBamaMom at 3:28 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• We did a football theme. We had a football-shaped cake for my son that was small and just for him. I let him dig in and get dirty. He didn't really like sweets at the time so he ate a few bites and that was it. Then we had a sheet-cake that was decorated to look like a football field with players and everything on it. It was really cute.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:34 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• We had 2 parties & 2 cakes for my son. The first was a store bought sheet cake. DS didn't eat very much of it but it gave him rainbow poos for the next 3 days. For his second party I made a homemade cake with buttercream frosting. I didn't add food coloring of course. Here is the recipe if you want it.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Fro my son's first birthday, i made a "cow" cake. The theme in his nursery was "barnyard baby".
    I used a round cake, took cupcakes for feet and ears, frosted white and made some chocolate circles/spots, used candy to make face parts. Came very cute.
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 4:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My son is a monkey and loves them too! We did a monkey themed party. I made him his own cake shaped like a banana with yellow cake mix. That's the one he got to dig into!

I made a huge 3 tiered chocolate cake that had vanilla pudding and banana filling for our guests! It was so good! On top I put a 3-D cake monkey. (I bought a Wilton 3-D cake pan that was a bear and made it into a monkey.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2009