Go Figure

I was just half listening to some show on the History Channel, and I heard that beer made civilization possible. That got my attention. The show went on by saying that when humans first got together in large cities, it wouldn't be long before they polluted their local water supply and started dying of dysentery. It's hard to build a town of any size when a third to a half of your prospective citizens are dying at any given time. Well, somebody somewhere started making beer, and the drink caught on. Pretty soon everybody was drinking it. What nobody knew at the time was that boiling the water while making beer killed off the bacteria and other nasties that were making people sick. Eventually, they figured out that drinking the water would kill you, but drinking beer was safe. Cities grew, and here we are.

You learn something new every day. So I got to thinking that if history classes in school ere filled with interesting little stories like these, instead of names and dates, places and battles, kids might actually pay attention.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:15 AM on Dec. 21, 2012 in

• oh Netflix has a great documentary called "how beer saved the world" and its excellent! was that it?

im currently working on teaching US history, i have a book of strange, silly, really interesting facts that i plan on throwing into my lessons everyday. i love history, but understand its boring to most ppl...if teachers had the time/resources/care they could easily make history so very exciting!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:05 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Yup
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:24 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I agree!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:02 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I agree, too! When I was in school history was my least favorite subject but I love watching the History Channel now lol.

Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 1:06 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• LOL! I hear ya, but you know there would be parents out there up in arms b/c their kids would be coming home & drinking their beer up saying they learned it was safer to drink than water! (esp. the teens!) lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:32 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• It certainly explains some things.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:57 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I didn't know that... thanks for sharing!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:09 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I'm proofreading a book on world history now that is as dry as a popcorn fart. I would hate to be the student having to read this book and learn about what emperor ruled when, and how long his reign was, and where the boundaries of his domain were. So what! I'm getting paid to read this, but if I wasn't, there would be no redeeming factor to it at all.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 1:12 AM on Dec. 21, 2012