3y/o night coughing? HELP ASAP

my 3 y/o dd is fine all day long and falls asleep great and then boom its 11 and she starts coughing. ALL night. Tonight is the worst, she just threw up all over her bed. It happens for a few nights and then goes away and then it comes back. What do you think it could be? Should I take her into the ER?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Dec. 21, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What is her throw up like? Mucous? It could be drainage. She could have a cold, or allergies. If it's not accompanied by other symptoms (fever, sneezing, itching, achy body) then I wouldn't necessarily go to the ER unless you think there is a risk to her life. I would call her Pediatrician in the morning and ask either the Dr. or a nurse. They will probably want to see her to give her an exam and ask you specific questions.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:51 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• my kids get like that, Elevate her bed (put a couch cushion under it . It is the lying flat position that gets the coughing going also put a humidifier in her room and rub a little vicks on the vent of the humidifier. My kids it usually takes up to a week to get rid of the cough, especially when it is because of allergies. Listen to her breathing also to ensure she is not having a difficult time getting air in.
    KLynneH

Answer by KLynneH at 11:08 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• is there mold or smoke anywhere? i'd steam clean her room and bed
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2012

• My 4 year old has a cold as well and she coughs at night. I put a Vicks steam vaporizer next to her bed and it helps. I also use vapor rub on her chest, back, neck and behind her ears before she goes to sleep. Hope your child feels better.
    TashaStar81

Answer by TashaStar81 at 10:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2012