Should police be allowed to attach a GPS to your car without a warrant to track you?

The SCOTUS originally ruled 2 years ago that it wasn't legal.  Then yesterday, a federal judge ruled it's ok as far as she's concerned, as long as they're doing it to track you someplace they think you're going to show up anyway.  How does that loophole sit with you?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:51 AM on Dec. 21, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• i think if they have a warrant it should be allowed, but without probably cause and a warrant i do not think that they should be able to.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:04 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I would think it would require a court order. Kinda like the ankle bracelet they give to parolees.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:24 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I go with the warrant too. They need to have a good reason to track you and not just "a hunch".
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 7:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• " as long as they're doing it to track you someplace they think you're going to show up anyway. "

^ that does not make a lick of sense to me !!
    if they think you are going to be there anyway, would they not be there waiting for you to showup
    a GPS is more helpful when they do not know where you are going- right??

warrant should be in place before they track you where they know where you are going (or do not know)
    either way warrent yes

maybe i just need some coffee??
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:14 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Probable cause? I mean they can hold you on suspicion in some states for up to 72 hours.Then they'll KNOW where you are! Which would you rather?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:51 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Warrant please!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:14 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• No, they shouldn't. Only with a warrant. I'm not one bit surprised though. Eric Holder gave this administration permission to create and store dossiers on innocent Americans. I'm not quite sure why they would feel the need to do so. If they have cause, then I suppose I would feel much more comfortable with a judge having to give permission.

I asked a question about this the other day and only got 3 answers. I guess nobody cares if their government can spy on them without reason or cause. Very sad.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:29 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• warrant should be required
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:34 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Here is the link for the article I referenced:  http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/12/gov-dossiers-on-us-citizens/

In a secret government agreement granted without approval or debate from lawmakers, the U.S. attorney general recently gave the National Counterterrorism Center sweeping new powers to store dossiers on U.S. citizens, even if they are not suspected of a crime, according to a news report.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:05 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I have no reason to care. All I do is go to the store or mall, drive around town a bit. They'd be super bored, trust me.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:35 AM on Dec. 21, 2012