Husband wants to buy me new phone for christmas....

But I will not be able to spend that much money for a gift on him...he is ALWAYS very petty about things like this and I told him that I do not want him to do this, because even if I LIKE what he buys me I won't be able to enjoy it for very long because he will at some point bring that up in a fight....now he is pissed at me for this....I don't want this thrown in my face...What would you do? We don't have extra money flying around and while I do need a new phone, my phone still works it just sucks. We still have other people to buy for and he is the sole income, which (in a fight) turns out it's HIS money...I have a tiny part time job but don't make much and haven't got paid yet...UGHHHHHHH!! It's so frustrating....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Dec. 21, 2012 in Relationships

• You could open it, go rewrap it and give it back to him? LOL! I was seriously going to do that to my parents because I told them NOT to get us a gift....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:04 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• This has nothing to do with a phone,it's about him disrespecting you

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Sounds like a bigger problem than a phone. We got my daughter an iphone 4 and it was free!! We had an upgrade. Maybe it's that. Just buy him a sweater.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:26 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I only work the weekends, so obviously I don't have much to contribute to a gift for my hubby. He always picks me out AWESOME gifts, and sometimes I feel that they're way too expensive because I have no hope of matching them. BUT he would never hold it against me! And instead of making me feel bad, this year, since he was getting so much overtime, he gave me about $120 for me to go and buy him whatever I wanted for Christmas, because I told him how much it upset me that I could never buy him things I really wanted to give him.

It's good that your husband wants to buy you something nice, but the whole point is the joy of GIVING... it's not about what you're going to get back because of it. Butterflyblue is absolutely right... he's not respecting you at all.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:26 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I can't believe that you feel like the money isn't yours too. I don't work anymore, but I took our card and bought my husband a nice Northface coat. I also bought him a nice sweater, undershirts, socks and a cute t-shirt. Yes, he paid for them, but I don't work. He knows that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• My husband and I always seem to be on opposite ends one of us goes all out and the other doesn't, sort of funny. In your situation I would not want the phone if he's just going to use it against you in an aguement. Tell him your fine with your phone and y'all need to finish your other Christmas shopping for everyone else. If you were to receive $ from parents or anyone I would just go buy it myself.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• This isn't about a Christmas gift or a phone. It's about the way your husband treats you which needs help, immediately.
    Anonymous

• disrespectful
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• You just should have said you did not want anything for Christmas. That way if he got you something. He sould not bring it up in a fight, because you did tell him you didn't want anything. You would be free.

Answer by louise2 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• The fact that you even needed to post this means your relationship is a manipulative one.
    Tell him you want COUNSELING for Christmas!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2012