Serious question (mainly for Christians, but whoever wants to chime in...)

There's the post in R&B about the Christian prayer for the CT victims. I know the person who posted it absolutely meant no ill will or harm by it, but it contains a few very disturbing lines, at least from the perspective of the non-Christians it's blaming for the tragedy:

“Let My power and presence re-enter this land!”

“may this country be delivered from the hands of fools”

“I’m taking back my nation. I’m taking back my schools!”

I noticed that before anyone spoke up about how disturbing they found those lines of the poem, several people simply posted how beautiful it was. So my question is, are people (again, mainly Christians) so used to seeing their faith presented in that manner that words that edge into hate or imperialism don't register any more? Do people see them and choose to overlook them in favor of some other part of the message they agree with, or do they simply not see them at all? (I know there is a 3rd category, those who not only see it, but cheer in support of it, but those aren't the type of people who were answering that question, though a few may have bumped it after it was pointed out for that reason)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:20 AM on Dec. 21, 2012 in Religious Debate

• As a Non-Christian but, somewhat raised as one (church was not forced upon me), I clearly see the prejudice. Honestly, I think this falls under the fact that most Christians truly believe that their way is the only correct way. They may not agree with the way the wording can be interpreted. But, overall, they agree with the concept of everything being Christian again. Although, they may not admit it. Many somehow believe that all of these tragedies will stop if the US truly becomes a "Christian Nation". Of course, they fail the understand that many of the top safest countries in the world & those with the highest quality of life are in fact "Godless" secular nations.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:37 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I don't know. I'm a Christian who is just as turned off by that kind of talk as the rest of you. It's like there's a little buzzer in my head - BZZZZ, no I don't agree with that, I don't think that way, next line/statement/etc please - lol. It's a physical (inner) reaction I can feel, hearing/reading stuff like that, how incompatible it is with the way I actually believe, and how contradictory it is to the spirit and message I do believe Jesus called us to emulate.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• The only thing I think of when I see those things are... "What about the rest of the country?" Does it not matter what happens there? Is God only to be in our country, protecting us? It makes no sense.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:42 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• sorry, I mean countries.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:43 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I have real issues with any post that is trying to push a religious agenda (or non-religious agenda) and piggy backing off a tragedy in order to accomplish it. It's part of the reason I've been relatively silent in this section as of late.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I didn't see the original sorry
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:52 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Thats the part I didnt like about the poem and my friend and I have been discussing it saying it would be a good poem if a whole paragraph was removed from it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I don't believe that approach behooves those killed or those in our country that may not adhere to that belief
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 12:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• "17 Then Jesus said to them, “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.” And they were amazed at him."

pretty sure public schools belong to Caesar and Jesus' wouldnt have wanted anything to do with them. personally, i think most of us would be disgusted with how many Christians really do want Jesus in every aspect of this country...especially the ones who dont really know their faith, but rather piggy back off of what other ppl think/say. they think "yeah...so&so is right, we should have Jesus in schools" without giving a second thought to those who dont believe...b/c "every one should believe what i believe b/c its right".
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I agree Ok
    Many people do not know there religion or conveniently forget the parts that they do not want to hear.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2012