Why can I breastfeed but not able to pump???

I get like just a couple drops after 25 mins of pumping

scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you have a tight seal around your breast? If there is not a seal, and the pump is only loosely placed on your breast, you will not get much milk.

Also, are you pumping when you are full, or is it after breastfeeding? If you pump after feeding, there isn't anything there to pump...
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• You have to pump a lot for your technique to get good and also for your body to release with different type of suction- or at least that has been my experience. Also I recently heard that Medela (sp?) has guards with different sizes!!! I am a rather well endowed woman so I am totally going to have to try that this next time around...

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 3:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I have the same problem. My dr. told me it was because your baby stimulates your breast to produce and release milk. They have a certain sucking mechanism that the breastpump doesn't... If you are trying to pump because you need to do something with out your baby, you could always supplement formula sometimes, they say that similac is the best, I don't do it personally, but friends of mine have...HTH.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 3:38 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I have no idea, I had the exact same problem. It took me close to an hour to pump 1/32 full of a bottle when I tried it. I've also had an electric pump and vacuum pump nothing worked but I my baby grew great so I knew i had enough milk!! Hopefully other moms can help you but you're not alone!!
    Anonymous

• There are moms who can nurse multiples yet not get a drop from even the best pump. That may be what's going here.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Play with the suction and frequency, turn them down and then crank them back up gradually. Try to relax and imagine nursing your baby while you pump. It's totally common to have trouble producing for the pump and no problem producing for the baby.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:42 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Some women just can't. I have been nursing my son for 23 months and only once or twice have I been able to pump more than an ounce.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Have you ever hand milked a cow? There is a technique. The pump sucks the milk from you but the baby's mouth and tongue have a squeezing technique.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 3:53 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Even teh best breast pump will NEVER EVER be as effective as your breast! Ever. End of story. I nursed my LO til 11 mos (until a sickness that ended me in the hospital stopped it short) and was NEVER able to pump more than 3 oz out. Yet he was perfectly helathy and gained weight fine! :)
    southernlamom

Answer by southernlamom at 4:02 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• First, you have to have a properly fitting pump. Next you have to "learn" how to "let down" for the pump. For some women that comes easily, others have to really practice to learn to let down when pumping. More info on pump fit and how to pump at: http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/most/fit.aspx

http://www.workandpump.com/pumping.htm

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2009