Food for picky eaters?

We are having Christmas eve at my house. By my family's request I am making gumbo, rice & garlic bread. There are 5 other kids coming over that are picky eaters. I would like to have something simple to make so there will be something for them too.

txnmomof4

Asked by txnmomof4 at 1:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2012 in Food & Drink

• Maybe small sandwiches and a fruit tray. Kids seem to eat better when the food is in smaller pieces, instead of being overwhelmed by a whole sandwich or a piece of fruit. Or you could throw something like pizza rolls or chicken nuggets in the oven. Those are easy options, and it's a party after all.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:19 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• mac and cheese?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Personally I do not cater to picky eaters. Maybe if the person was alergic to some foods. That's it Not just because they wont eat certain foods.
    Eat what you like, don't eat what you don't like. That's my way.
    Make some kid type foods if you want.

Answer by louise2 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Yeah, I'd go with what Dard said. My family requested snacks and desserts.... I am good with that! LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I'm with louise. The only way I make an alternate food is if there's an allergy. Many picky eaters are picky because the are allowed to get away with it. Eat, or not, I don't care; but you won't get anything else until the next meal.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I was going to say Mac & Cheese too. You could also make them Tyson Frozen Chicken Tenders & a dipping sauce.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Spaghetti
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Maybe instead of making something different, present it different for the kids?
    jeffsgirl9

Answer by jeffsgirl9 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I'm an adult and won't eat gumbo. And I really doubt one meal of making sure every guest winds up with a dinner they like is a horrible thing to allow.

Anyway, I'd do something simple like mac and cheese and chicken nuggets.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I TOTALLY agree with the picky eater comments. However, these are not my children and I just want everyone to be happy. My kids are having gumbo, it was there idea.My kids eat whatever they are given. I think the mac & cheese is a great or finger foods and a fruit tray.
    txnmomof4

Comment by txnmomof4 (original poster) at 4:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2012