Party or no?

My work is having a Christmas party tonight. Starts around 11pm (Its a restaurant/brewery so it starts after closing). DH gets home from work at 12am. The plan was to hire a babysitter and go together but babysitter flaked so now we decided I'd go alone. I plan to drink so hopefully I get a ride home from 1 of my coworkers. I live exactly 4.2 miles away (I know, I once walked it) so is shouldn't be a problem. The thing is, I really wanted to experience it with him. Last year I missed the Christmas party and was told how much fun it was. I also can't drink past this month because TTC next month. This will probably be my last time drinking for a while. I really want to go, but not by myself. We were also thinking we could take the girls(ages 3,2 and 1) and have them sleeping in a private room on a different floor of the restaurant. DH will be DD and watch them, but I feel that's a bit tacky. What do you think? Just go without DH or forget the party all together?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2012 in Holidays

• Just go by yourself and just stay a short while. Don't get drunk and drive yourself.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I would NOT bring the kids & if you go alone then take the phone number for a taxi company & enough cash for the ride. I would NOT walk 4 miles drunk at night in the dark EVER!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• No friends or relatives that could sit last minute?

If necessary I would go alone and make sure you have plenty for a cab.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Not getting drunk is hard to do. The beer there is unfiltered and drinking 1 is like drinking 3 store bought. We also live in a small suburban town and the local police usually waits for people to come out of the brewery. There are more DUI on the street my work located and any other street in the city. I'm one of the few employees there who has never had a DUI. I want to keep it that way...No drinking and driving at all.

No, I wouldn't plan to walk. If a coworker couldn't bring me, worse case, I'd take a cab.

I was thinking of asking a good friend and neighbor to babysit but she may have plans with her DH, his birthday is soon. I'll see.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I would like to share a personal experience with my friends and family about drinking and driving........As you well know, some of us have had brushes with the authorities on our way home from an occasional social session over the years. A couple of nights ago, we were out for an evening with friends and had a couple of cocktails and some rather nice red wine. Knowing full well I may have been slightly over the limit, I did something I've never done before, I took a cab home. Sure enough, I passed a police road block but, since it was a cab, they waved it past. I arrived home safely without incident, which was a real surprise, as I have never driven a cab before and am not sure where I got it or what to do with it now that it's in my garage.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

LOL
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Honestly, would it be all that much fun to go alone and get drunk? Maybe I'm turning into an old geezer, but that doesn't sound like a good time to me. Drinking alone is depressing. I'd skip the party and set up something else you can do with your husband another time.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Great news! Found a babysitter. Neighbor's 19 year old stepdaughter is visiting for the holiday and said she would do it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Dardenella! That was THE BEST response EVER! I almost peed my pants!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:07 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Ha ha ha!!!! Dardenella!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2012