How do you decide who you're helping?

Do you go to the same places every year, or base it on current events?  We do donations every year to Child's Play, which donates specific categories of toys to children's hospitals, and a local shelter.  Then I read things like this, about Hurricane Sandy kids writing Santa to ask him to help their parents with bills, or kids who don't even have coats, and wonder if we should've tried to split it up more.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:41 PM on Dec. 21, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Well I would say folks in disaster areas would be main priority. If I normally donate a certain amount every year it would go to whom I feel needs it most, if there no disasters then the usual place. We lived though hurricane Ike and I don't think the rest of the world knew anything about it. We sort of got over looked. Surviving a natural disaster is rough.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• We raise money for Autism speaks every year but other than that we just give when and where we can. This year we donated some old sweaters to a homeless shelter, gave some some money to help hurricane victims, gave a little to the humane society, the kids donated some to the local Greyhound rescue, we bought a gift for an angel tree... If we see the need and we can, we do.- if that makes sense.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Well, I live in the Hurricane area, thank goodness we were not affected too much! I help and donate to who needs it, I think any donation to a child in need is appreciatied, I have a friend who works for Toys for Tots in Jersey, and she said they are overwhelmed with toys that don't have a home to go to. I think you did a great thing by giving ANYTHING.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 5:00 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I donate to places that have over 80%of the donations going directly to the charity and not to administrative costs.  These are a couple of sites I use to check.  Sorry I can't make the links clickety on my mobile.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=518

http://ago.mo.gov/checkacharity/

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I generally, but not always, stick to local causes - like energy assistance for those in my state, food pantries and an larger organization called Mazon (means Food in Hebrew), that raises money for food pantries, mostly in the States, but has given globally.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:11 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I give to the organization that I also work for because then I know exactly who benefits, and that its not used for overhead, admin, etc...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• We adopt a family through DH's work. They get the name through Family Services. There can be any number but because there are more of us we usually ask for the lareger families. Many times there are requests for coats but it is what the family requests. There is always the food basket (boxes) and the company makes a contribution equal to the participants, that can be used for food or heat etc.

We drop change in the buckets

We pick an item from the tree at church which is for the battered women's shelter.

If something pops up we do that too.

When the kids were at home we had them choose one item they really wanted themselves and we took it to the toys for tots drive. We still do that with DGS

It depends on the year and what is available and what moves us, but those are the things we always do.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• We do Smiletrain, they have a 100% donation to charity ratio because all of their administrative costs are covered by their board of directors privately. They give free cleft palate surgery to kids here and around the world. Awesome organization.

We also donate to toys for tots, Dana Farber Cancer Treatment, Big Sisters and Brothers, and we sponsor anyone we know who runs for charity.

We don't have a whole lot, but we manage to spread it out throughout the year so we can lend a hand every year to these organizations.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I only donate locally. Like one of your pp's, i donate to places that have the highest donation to administrative cost ratio. This year, I gave some to CWAC (Chicago Women and Children's Shelter) and Karma Kitchen
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• We try to keep it in our county, and there is always a need. If there was less of a need here, I would probably look to current events or to soldiers.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2012