To introduce the paficier or not to....?

Hmm. My first didn't use a pacifier. I never offered one. I exclusively breastfeed- a lot!

This is my second and I'm breastfeeding exclusively again. She's 4 weeks. Almost to the 6 week point where I can introduce the expressed milk in a bottle and/or pacifier if I wanted to.

I hear pacifiers can reduce SIDS- but I also have the baby at the breast a whole whole lot- so if it's sucking she needs it's what she gets with me.

Any reason for the pacifier?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 8:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not that I can think of.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• So mom can go potty without feeling she has somehow damaged the kid due to the kid's pained crying that the boob has been removed.

I cherish my potty breaks. They are 5 min vacations
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:39 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• To me a pacifier is th shut your baby up. I never alowed on. I wanted my babies to learn how to self sooth.

Answer by louise2 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• None of my 3 children ever took a pacifier. Some were bottle fed & breast fed. Nature takes its course when they have the urge to suckle, & they will suck a thumb or finger. That's almost harder to break when they are older, since you can't exactly take away what is attached! loll :p You can introduce it, but don't force the issue. They will outgrow whatever path they choose, w/ a little prodding from us. :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Awww, my baby has only shed tears once. It's my three year old that immediately comes to the bathroom when I'm in there. I can't stuff a pacifier in her mouth!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• There never has been any proof what so ever on pacifier reduces SIDS. IMO, unless you want to, I wouldn't introduce it. It will one thing less you will have to take away when she is older. BM although has been shown to reduce SIDS, but it may have been a bit biased since it was my OB who said it did! lol
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• You can try it. If she changes her latch and starts hurting you, ditch it.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• It's my three year old that immediately comes to the bathroom when I'm in there. I can't stuff a pacifier in her mouth!

Give her snack, so she'll sit and hush :)
    The bathroom is my pet peeve.
    I was visiting a SIl once and the phone rang (she was in the potty) . I told her kids to let the machine get it, but NO!
    They took it right into her and the woman was such a soft touch she talked to the salesman while trying to eliminate :(

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Oh man, I LOVE them!! I call them cry plugs! They work like heaven on earth., INSTANT satisfaction! My kids are so calm & realxed that sometimes I want one! JK. I took my Sons away pretty late & he has no tooth problems. I can shop in peace even. My daughter is 16 months & when she points to her "gucky" (pacifier) I know it's time for a nap. When they get upset or a boo-boo, it calms them instantly too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• If she doesn't seem to need it then I wouldn't, at this point. My girls started with pacis around 2 days old.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2012