So I spent $2 on a scratchoff.....

and I won. I won pretty big. But I get a little bit of FS because I don't make a whole lot of money. I work my butt off, but it is just miminum wage. So, now I don'dt now what to do. Will they take my fs away if I turn the ticket in? I did some checking, and for a tousand dollars, they need my ID and SS#. I don't mind paying the taxes on it, but I am not sure about what the FS people would do. It's not like I'm going to buy a bunch of stupid stuff, I need a good car, and this do a whole lot for that, so that I don't have to spend so much to get it fixed all the time. Does anyone know? Thank you so much for your help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2012 in Money & Work

• Well the smartest thing to do is the honest thing and report it and let them do what they do with your food stamps. You may lose them for a while and have to use some of your winnings on food, which isn't a bad thing because I'm sure you would rather not have to be on food stamps in the first place, right? :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• you can have 1000 in assets and still qualify.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• By FS do you mean Food Stamps? If so, you will probably have to report it as income & they will adjust how much you get in FS next month. Congrats on your win. :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Report to your caseworker your winnings, they will adjust your food stamps or close your case if you have too much, than if you need it again you can re-apply or report again and get them back.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• If you got a $1000 you shouldn't have to pay taxes. But if you tell PA. They will stop your food stamps.

Answer by louise2 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I suspect they won't let you cash it without their reporting it to IRS. So your best bet is to be up front. I really hope they don't reduce your food stamps. Congratulations on your win!

Answer by Bmat at 8:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Honestly they may adjust your FS for the month of the winnings but they should resume to normal next month. If you shop smart you should be able to finance a month of food.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• I know it will be reported to the IRS. And I'm OK with paying the taxes on it. I just know it won't last very long, it will help get some things (like a better car) which I can't afford to do right now, so I'm looking at this as not a steady source of income, but more like a one-time thing. So, i can't decide if it is better to accept that FS would be done for me (which I would love to have happen) and use it to support me & my kid for food for a few months and then go thruogh the hassle of reapplying in a few months which just makes me cringe thinking aobut it. Or use it for a big one-time purchase, like a car. Who would have thought that $2 would cause me such a headache??

Thanks for all the good wishes!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Congrats on your win!!!
    JennieMarie1103

Answer by JennieMarie1103 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• You have to declare it to the FS but it is a one time thing not like wages.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2012