So I spent $2 on a scratchoff.....

and I won. I won pretty big. But I get a little bit of FS because I don't make a whole lot of money. I work my butt off, but it is just miminum wage. So, now I don'dt now what to do. Will they take my fs away if I turn the ticket in? I did some checking, and for a tousand dollars, they need my ID and SS#. I don't mind paying the taxes on it, but I am not sure about what the FS people would do. It's not like I'm going to buy a bunch of stupid stuff, I need a good car, and this do a whole lot for that, so that I don't have to spend so much to get it fixed all the time. Does anyone know? Thank you so much for your help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2012 in Money & Work

• If you report it to the IRS it will be associated with your SS# and if you fail to report it to the caseworker and it gets back to them ( because you reported to IRS) you could end up having to repay any food stamps benefits you got during that time. Please be cautious because you don't want this nice surprise to end up being a REAL headache!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Here is a link to IRS info on winnings.

IRS

DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:44 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Congrats!
    DJDNY

• I know when the ex- once gave me $1000 for gifts for the kids it didn't affect the kid's benefits. Just call the agency and ask. Don't break any laws though cause they'll eff you in the long run.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:56 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• if you need a beter car- do that
    and just be honest
    congrates

hope you did not get this ticket from a person that likes to give fake tickets as a "joke"
    was woman on here other week, that gave one of these fake winners to her SIL
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• hope you did not get this ticket from a person that likes to give fake tickets as a "joke"
    was woman on here other week, that gave one of these fake winners to her SIL Answer by fiatpax

No, ma'am!! I paid the clerk $2, and the game is on the lottery website. I get one from time to time. Usually I don't get anything, but I won $20 once. And now this!! I still haven't told ANYONE!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Congrats on you winnings.
    ladybugmamax2

Answer by ladybugmamax2 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

• Why not give it to someone you trust to turn it in for you?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:06 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• I agree with PartyGal!

Tell us how much you won, I'm very curious, lol
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:41 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• She won $1,000.00 PMS
    If it affects your FS it will only be for the one month or so, but if they find you have cheated (not reported the winnings) you can lose the possibility of being eligible for FS for a period of time (I think 5 years but I am not sure) do not take a chance.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:46 AM on Dec. 22, 2012