Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

So I spent $2 on a scratchoff.....

and I won. I won pretty big. But I get a little bit of FS because I don't make a whole lot of money. I work my butt off, but it is just miminum wage. So, now I don'dt now what to do. Will they take my fs away if I turn the ticket in? I did some checking, and for a tousand dollars, they need my ID and SS#. I don't mind paying the taxes on it, but I am not sure about what the FS people would do. It's not like I'm going to buy a bunch of stupid stuff, I need a good car, and this do a whole lot for that, so that I don't have to spend so much to get it fixed all the time. Does anyone know? Thank you so much for your help.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2012 in Money & Work

Answers (25)
  • Well the smartest thing to do is the honest thing and report it and let them do what they do with your food stamps. You may lose them for a while and have to use some of your winnings on food, which isn't a bad thing because I'm sure you would rather not have to be on food stamps in the first place, right? :)

    Answer by tessiedawg at 8:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

  • you can have 1000 in assets and still qualify.

    Answer by staciandababy at 8:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

  • You have to declare it to the FS but it is a one time thing not like wages.

    Answer by Dardenella at 9:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

  • By FS do you mean Food Stamps? If so, you will probably have to report it as income & they will adjust how much you get in FS next month. Congrats on your win. :)


    Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

  • If you report it to the IRS it will be associated with your SS# and if you fail to report it to the caseworker and it gets back to them ( because you reported to IRS) you could end up having to repay any food stamps benefits you got during that time. Please be cautious because you don't want this nice surprise to end up being a REAL headache!

    Answer by tessiedawg at 9:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

  • Report to your caseworker your winnings, they will adjust your food stamps or close your case if you have too much, than if you need it again you can re-apply or report again and get them back.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

  • If you got a $1000 you shouldn't have to pay taxes. But if you tell PA. They will stop your food stamps.

    Answer by louise2 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

  • I suspect they won't let you cash it without their reporting it to IRS. So your best bet is to be up front. I really hope they don't reduce your food stamps. Congratulations on your win!

    Answer by Bmat at 8:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

  • Honestly they may adjust your FS for the month of the winnings but they should resume to normal next month. If you shop smart you should be able to finance a month of food.

    Answer by staciandababy at 9:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

  • Congrats on your win!!!

    Answer by JennieMarie1103 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 21, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.